• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Prison bunnies... Naughty naughty...

courtneydayle

Alpha Buck
The bunnies are in prison! One's crime (more than likely Jazz as he was caught at the scene of the crime) was chewing through my mouse cord. Polka and Bandana are being held on suspected counts of being accomplices.

I heard that spraying lemon juice or pepper juice on things the bunnies like to chew on will keep them from chewing. Anyone tried this?

Erm, I think lemon juice would encourage my two... Or maybe they are just odd!!!

The bunnies are in prison! One's crime (more than likely Jazz as he was caught at the scene of the crime) was chewing through my mouse cord. Polka and Bandana are being held on suspected counts of being accomplices.

I heard that spraying lemon juice or pepper juice on things the bunnies like to chew on will keep them from chewing. Anyone tried this?

Nothing will stop your bunny chewing something it wants to chew!

Make sure all cables all totally covered to stop them causing damage and hurting themselves. My Snowdrop was electrocuted a few years ago by biting through a cable.

Mine would just love lemon juice.:shock: Apparently buns aren't so keen on oranges. But seriously the best thing is to keep cables covered. They're less likely to chew if the cables are neatly run againt a wall as much as poss.
Mine only chew telephone cables/internet cable & only if they're fed up that I've been "giving the wall too much attention".:lol:
Plan B get a small soldering iron & learn to repair cables safely! ;)

I once tried bitter apple spray but that was a total waste of money seen as though the rabbits just hopped over and proceeded to lick and chew the area I had sprayed

Nothing will stop them - anything that you leave within their reach is fair game. If you leave it unprotected, then it is your fault that it gets ruined, not theirs. Chewing is a natural behaviour, an instinct essential to the survival of the species. Wires, from a rabbit's point of view, are the same as the roots they would come accross and chew through whilst digging their warrens. We can't plonk them down in a completely alien environment and then expect them to adhere to unspoken rules that contradict their instincts - we should adapt the environment to give them a suitable home free from dangers and where they can express natural behaviours.

In other words - get bunnyproofing! :lol:

Nothing will stop them - any kind of fruit juice would encourage Rupert! especially orange juice, he looooooooooooooves orange juice!

The cables are out of reach now, so what I'm really worried about is the wood baseboards. Jazz will chew on anything, no matter how many times I get on to him. Polka and Bandana know better now, a few bops on the nose and they stopped, but Jazz won't at all.

all you can do is bunnyproof as much as you can, from wires etc, and provide them with toys to gnaw which they may or may not take interest in, if they are young, then saying no when they do something wrong that worked with mine, also neutering, speying can also help to reduce some destructive behaviours, but its in a bunniies nature to gnaw and forage

The cables are out of reach now, so what I'm really worried about is the wood baseboards. Jazz will chew on anything, no matter how many times I get on to him. Polka and Bandana know better now, a few bops on the nose and they stopped, but Jazz won't at all.

Bunny-proof then. And provide a yummier alternative - telling a rabbit off for chewing is like telling a baby off for crying.

Bunnies chew. They aren't being naughty, it's what they do. You just have to proof things. I guess you mean high skirting board essentially? The mesh panels would probably work for that. You might find they grow out of it, especially once they're neutered. Smudge used to chew the wood in their room a lot but he grew out of it.

I'm going to block off under my bed (which is where they chew mostly) and I gave them some wood stick things that I had left over from the rats I used to have. They don't seem to like them... But they're getting better about not chewing on things they're not supposed to. (Or I'm just better at keeping things up!) And as soon as I can get a hold of the vet, Jazz is going to be booked in to be neutered.

I'm going to block off under my bed (which is where they chew mostly) and I gave them some wood stick things that I had left over from the rats I used to have. They don't seem to like them... But they're getting better about not chewing on things they're not supposed to. (Or I'm just better at keeping things up!) And as soon as I can get a hold of the vet, Jazz is going to be booked in to be neutered.

Try apple or pear sticks, as fresh as you can get.

What other kinds of tree branches can they chew?

Apple, pear and willow (thin sticks, the thick bits of the tree have high levels of salicin) tend to be the ones people use because most buns like them. Hawthorn is a shrub/small tree and these also tend to go down well when they still have their leaves (do not feed the berries).

There are others, I don't think they are as popular though. You'd have to check they are safe first, there are quite a few that should be avoided, evergreens and fruit trees where the fruit has a stone, for a start. I've fed raspberry canes before, but they were ignored.

That it horrible.

If you decide to keep houserabbits you need to get used to the fact that they chew and make anything and everything inaccessible.

Apple, pear and willow (thin sticks, the thick bits of the tree have high levels of salicin) tend to be the ones people use because most buns like them. Hawthorn is a shrub/small tree and these also tend to go down well when they still have their leaves (do not feed the berries).

There are others, I don't think they are as popular though. You'd have to check they are safe first, there are quite a few that should be avoided, evergreens and fruit trees where the fruit has a stone, for a start. I've fed raspberry canes before, but they were ignored.

And dad just planted apple and pears! Yay! And there are willow trees growing all over the place around here. Wonderful! I love free, wild growing bunny food! Found them a lot of grass today that I pulled up. Green grass in November!

Back