• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Say hallllloooooo to my new babies

Mrsmcarey

Mama Doe
Casserole and Dumplin:love:

88f811c4c0f8b2a85fb0d4ab248801bd_zps9d584e43.jpg

Already best buddies:love:
2b2c0500785cccf8b4b86ee9d12ae8aa_zps513aae10.jpg

0c065a37a61b8b22aca7e2f1ae580448_zpsbe554f48.jpg

Very cute, how old are they and what sex?
who came up with names? :D

They are 7 weeks old not a clue what sex but they both look the same, but then so did Stu and his sister at that age :lol:

My veggie hubby named Stu cos he thought it was funny :roll: and we'll you have to keep to the theme :lol:

Stu had his 'plums' done on Monday and has a second vet check on Thursday next week so they are taking a trip too to see if they can sex for me.

Oh bless them, I do like the names too. Are you hoping they will bond with Stu. I hope he is doing well after his visit to The Plum Fairy.

They are 7 weeks old not a clue what sex but they both look the same, but then so did Stu and his sister at that age :lol:

My veggie hubby named Stu cos he thought it was funny :roll: and we'll you have to keep to the theme :lol:

Stu had his 'plums' done on Monday and has a second vet check on Thursday next week so they are taking a trip too to see if they can sex for me.

They are very cute, but rabbits shouldn't leave their mothers till 8 weeks old at the earliest.

How are they doing? 8 weeks is the normal time for baby buns to be separated from Mum. Sometimes they have to be separated earlier for particular reasons but I'm not sure it would be in their best interests to go back, having left Mum. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will be answer your question. :wave:

How are they doing? 8 weeks is the normal time for baby buns to be separated from Mum. Sometimes they have to be separated earlier for particular reasons but I'm not sure it would be in their best interests to go back, having left Mum. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will be answer your question. :wave:

I got all worried that we had done wrong:oops: so I have spoken to my sister who had the babies and she checked with her vet before she said they were ready, she used to breed bunnies and advised 6 - 8 weeks was fine as long as they are eating drinking peeing and pooing by themselves, which these definitely are :D

When she has them all in with mom In the house, she will not let them drink from her anyway, she moves away :)

Oh bless them, I do like the names too. Are you hoping they will bond with Stu. I hope he is doing well after his visit to The Plum Fairy.

Stu has coped with his visit very well, moped around for couple of days but now back to his happy carefree self :D

Hoping to bond with Stu, going to take them with me on his next check up to see if vet can sex for me!

Then move Stu's run next to their chicken house and start the process, he hasn't been in the chicken house apart from a quick look so that's theirs for the time being, and its got the full fitted waterproof cover on, so it should be ok

then will fit the runaround stuff to link the 2 hutches and big run so they all have 24 hour access to everything but that's in the future if bond goes ok.

I got all worried that we had done wrong:oops: so I have spoken to my sister who had the babies and she checked with her vet before she said they were ready, she used to breed bunnies and advised 6 - 8 weeks was fine as long as they are eating drinking peeing and pooing by themselves, which these definitely are :D

When she has them all in with mom In the house, she will not let them drink from her anyway, she moves away :)

Well the vet is wrong, I don't have time to explain all the reasons why as I have to get ready for Remembrance Sunday, but she doesn't sound rabbit-savvy. I advise you dont use her. Personally, I prefer rabbits to be kept with mum till around 10 weeks if possible.

6-8 weeks is the normal age to wean babies from mum especially for smaller breeds as the does seem to get fed up sooner, it should be gradual tho and the babies need to remain in a familiar environment for 2 weeks after mum has been taken away, which is why 8 weeks is the earliest leaving age (if they were weaned at 6 weeks they wont be ready to move to a new home until 8 weeks), but tbh the older the better, i prefer 10-12 weeks to take from mum (or as long as possible really but bucks need to be removed at 10 weeks maximum) as it give the babies a better head start, the stress of move and changes to routine or diet are very risky, so taking them back now would only add to the risk, just make sure you keep them as stress free as possible (limit the handling, keep the food the same etc) i would also add some probiotics to the water as it helps them cope with times of stress.

6-8 weeks is the normal age to wean babies from mum especially for smaller breeds as the does seem to get fed up sooner, it should be gradual tho and the babies need to remain in a familiar environment for 2 weeks after mum has been taken away, which is why 8 weeks is the earliest leaving age (if they were weaned at 6 weeks they wont be ready to move to a new home until 8 weeks), but tbh the older the better, i prefer 10-12 weeks to take from mum (or as long as possible really but bucks need to be removed at 10 weeks maximum) as it give the babies a better head start, the stress of move and changes to routine or diet are very risky, so taking them back now would only add to the risk, just make sure you keep them as stress free as possible (limit the handling, keep the food the same etc) i would also add some probiotics to the water as it helps them cope with times of stress.

So far so good, they are eating loads and drinking plenty :D they both love head rubs and seek out a fuss when I go in to check on them, eating plenty of hay, I got meadow hay and green verde hay.:D

glad theyre doing ok, keeping them on as much hay as possible will help prevent gut problems (especially prone at this age), i find youngsters often benefit from a little alfalfa hay or redigrass as the extra calicum is beneficial while theyre growing.

glad theyre doing ok, keeping them on as much hay as possible will help prevent gut problems (especially prone at this age), i find youngsters often benefit from a little alfalfa hay or redigrass as the extra calicum is beneficial while theyre growing.

They are on the Russell rabbit junior that they were weaned on to and thats got the alfalfa in and they eat that all up, it's the pellets in the mix they are leaving :roll:

Back