• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

what size outdoor hutch??

pam1

Young Bun
hi all.

how big should a outdoor hutch be for 2 rabbits? im going to have one made but need to know what size is good :)

I'd go for the biggest within your budget, but as a minimum it needs to be 6ft x 2ft x 2ft for two medium rabbits, and needs an attached run of 8ft x 4ft x 2ft to allow them space to run.

The Rabbit Welfare Association and Fund and the RSPCA reccommend a minimum of 6ft(L) x 2ft(D) x 2ft(H) for a pair of small/medium rabbits. They should also have an exercise run, a minimum of 8ft(L) x 4ft(W) x 2ft(H), preferably attached to the hutch. Of course bigger is always better :)

Here are the official guidlines: http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/ahutchisnotenough.htm

For large or giant rabbits, they need larger accommodation, and must have room to periscope fully without their ears touching the roof, and the depth to lie accross the depth of the hutch comfortably, as well as a longer hutch and run to allow enough exercise. Giants often need custom-made hutches, but most people go for playhouses or sheds, as they are much easier and cheaper to get in the sizes that they require.

At least 6' long and at least 2' deep and 2' high. It depends on the size of the rabbits as well. Is it going to be a single or 2-tier hutch. If you are having it made you could have a shelf put in at the bedroom end as rabbits love to sit up on something. A lot of folk are opting for a shed or playhouse, much better protection from the elements and predators.

At least 6' long and at least 2' deep and 2' high. It depends on the size of the rabbits as well. Is it going to be a single or 2-tier hutch. If you are having it made you could have a shelf put in at the bedroom end as rabbits love to sit up on something. A lot of folk are opting for a shed or playhouse, much better protection from the elements and predators.

there 13 weeks old tomorrow, but growing quickly! its a 2 tier one, and hes making it adaptable if i need2 seperate them. i havent got room for a massive playhouse, this seems to be the best option

there 13 weeks old tomorrow, but growing quickly! its a 2 tier one, and hes making it adaptable if i need2 seperate them. i havent got room for a massive playhouse, this seems to be the best option

What breed and size are they?

there english lops

As in English Lops with the really long ears? If you haven't got them yet, you may wish to reconsider getting that breed if you haven't got much space, as they are giants, and need soooo much space.

You'll need a longer than average hutch, and you'll need to get it deeper and higher too. The height is especially important, as they must be able to periscope properly. They'll need lots of space to prevent them getting spinal problems from a lack of exercise. I'm not sure on what the height should be for an English Lop, at least 3ft I would think, I'd edit the title to include 'for English Lops' so that hopefully some owners of them see this and can tell you how tall they are when they periscope.

As in English Lops with the really long ears? If you haven't got them yet, you may wish to reconsider getting that breed if you haven't got much space, as they are giants, and need soooo much space.

You'll need a longer than average hutch, and you'll need to get it deeper and higher too. The height is especially important, as they must be able to periscope properly. They'll need lots of space to prevent them getting spinal problems from a lack of exercise. I'm not sure on what the height should be for an English Lop, at least 3ft I would think, I'd edit the title to include 'for English Lops' so that hopefully some owners of them see this and can tell you how tall they are when they periscope.

they cant be lops then. as there ears arent very long. the lady who i got them from says there 'english rabbits'. ive got a pic on here somewere

they cant be lops then. as there ears arent very long. the lady who i got them from says there 'english rabbits'. ive got a pic on here somewere

Arthur and Charlie? They are certainly not English lops, as they don't have lop ears at all. They could be English Spots (often just called English).... you do get 'selfs' (solid colours) in litters, which would explain your grey one. The orange and white is very mis-marked though if it is an English - perhaps if they are from the same litter they are cross of some kind, or perhaps the lady guessed at their breed?

So if we work on the assumption that they are English or English crosses then the breed standard says they should be 2.72-3.62kg. So you are potentially looking at a large, but not giant bunny. As you are getting the hutch custom-made, it would be a good idea to make each level a little taller than usual, so that you don't have to get a new hutch made when they are grown. I'd say 2.5ft high would be adequate. It would be best to get it 2.5ft or 3ft deep too, and perhaps longer than 6ft if you can - but this isn't quite so important if you are giving them 24 hour access to a run, as you can just have a bigger run. You'll also want the run higher than usual, to give them the height needed to periscope and binky comfortably.

One of my rabbits is 3.45kg, so this pic will give you some idea of how big he looks in a 6x2x2ft (internal dimensions) hutch, English buns can get bigger. He is just over 2ft long when he lies down properly. It is a bit small really, but I had to buy it in a hurry and so didnt have much choice. If I got one custom made I'd get it 3ft tall and 3ft deep, and I'd have a shelf he could hop up onto in the sleeping area. The idea was that he had 24/7 access to the run, which is 6ft(W)x8ft(L)x2.5ft(H). At the weekends I try to get him out in the garden for free-range, as he loves the extra space.
http://i1081.photobucket.com/albums/j344/Nessa_Roche/SAM_3560.jpg

(note the pic was in summer, he has more hay to keep him cosy now!)

One of my rabbits is 3.45kg, so this pic will give you some idea of how big he looks in a 6x2x2ft (internal dimensions) hutch, English buns can get bigger. He is just over 2ft long when he lies down properly. It is a bit small really, but I had to buy it in a hurry and so didnt have much choice. If I got one custom made I'd get it 3ft tall and 3ft deep, and I'd have a shelf he could hop up onto in the sleeping area. The idea was that he had 24/7 access to the run, which is 6ft(W)x8ft(L)x2.5ft(H). At the weekends I try to get him out in the garden for free-range, as he loves the extra space.
http://i1081.photobucket.com/albums/j344/Nessa_Roche/SAM_3560.jpg

(note the pic was in summer, he has more hay to keep him cosy now!)

20121006_1819232.jpg
this is all of them together the day i pickd mine up. (hope the link works, im new to all of this!)

20120901_1148002.jpg

charlie when he was really young

http://i1305.photobucket.com/albums/s545/pjs_26/20120830_1114012.jpg
arthur

Last edited:
Back