• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Options as an alternative to regular dentals

Crunchie

Warren Veteran
Did post a thread in health but it's being ignored so am seeking some advice on dentals.

We adopted JayJay a lionlop in April/May this year and at the time weren't made aware of any health issues he had. However he was in poor condition when we got him and after a couple of months showed no improvement so he was taken to the **** vet school in Edinburgh.

It was found he had a tooth missing at the back and as a result the other had nothing to stop it growing. Most of his other back teeth had spurs too.

He's had three dentals since we got him and the most recent two only three weeks apart with him being in obvious pain and discomfort.

During the most recent op they attempted to loosen the offending tooth with no success. I wonderd if anyone knew of anything else that could be done. The vet school have said that we cannot put him through dentals every three weeks. They dont think he'll cope well with the op to remove the tooth as he is in such poor condition.

I'm to collect him tomorrow at some point and am assuming we'll be advised to either risk the removal or have him put to sleep.

Hm, I don't have a dental bun which is why I never replied in health, its a bit of a stuck between a rock and a hard place. :s
Id think removing the offending tooth would be the only option so it makes his mouth more even.
And then obviously the more hay/grass he can eat the better for him to keep the rest ground down.
Sorry I can't be much help :(
Hope someone else can be better help than me.
xxxx

Sorry to hear about your rabbit. IMO the only thing you can do is to have him euthanased. It isn't fair on him to keep putting him through all this.

I'm sure I read somewhere that there is a new procedure where they put something in the tooth root to stop the tooth growing.

I had a dental bunny who had conscious dentals (very controversial I know) every 4 weeks and then when that vet left he had GA every 5-6 weeks.

I really hope you can find a solution for Jayjay.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about your rabbit. IMO the only thing you can do is to have him euthanased. It isn't fair on him to keep putting him through all this.

Are you a vet or have you experienced something similar in your own rabbits and advised similarly?

Bunny babe has a good suggestion. Definitely ask about that. I had Star having dentals every two weeks two days and was also advised PTS. I knew it wasn't right for him and pushed for more duagnostics and the exotics get found tiny abscesses and he had a dental this week 10 weeks and 5 days after his last; purely by finding a way to manage the cause we have stretched it out. So if you can find something to help manage this situation then you never know what might happen. Also, I'm sure you know to anyway but in my sig is an article about advocating for your bunny which might be worth a read.

Very much good luck with whatever you decide. As long as you make whatever you feel the best decision for him is you will get it right. Thinking of you both.

I'll print out that stuff and whoever picks him up from the vet today can ask. I'm not sure if it'll be an option for him though as his problem are coming from the fact he has the opposite tooth missing rather than there being spurs.

I'll print out that stuff and whoever picks him up from the vet today can ask. I'm not sure if it'll be an option for him though as his problem are coming from the fact he has the opposite tooth missing rather than there being spurs.

Unfortunately that is likely to be true. If it is a case of risk the GA/extraction or just PTS then maybe risking the op is the way to go. He will be asleep and unaware of anything. If he passes under GA it will be peaceful for him. Devastating for you though, obviously. The other thing to consider is how much post op complications/pain there may be. It is not unheard of for the jaw to fracture when attempting to remove a firmly fixed molar, especially in a Rabbit in poor overall condition who is likely to have some bone demineralisation going on.

Your Bun is in expert hands and I would take on board their advice. Sometimes the only thing we can do is 'let go'.

I am so sorry that you are having such a distressing time :cry:

What it does is stop the tooth growing by killing it. In time it will then fall out. So it could be useful.
Although I'm unsure whether or not his tooth is top or bottom but I believe currently this only works on bottom teeth.

What it does is stop the tooth growing by killing it. In time it will then fall out. So it could be useful.
Although I'm unsure whether or not his tooth is top or bottom but I believe currently this only works on bottom teeth.

It's the bottom tooth as it grows toward to the roof of his mouth.

We'll see what the vet says today but obviously we're not holding out much hope. At the very least he'll have a few weeks of being happy before we have to do anything else.

No I'm not a vet. I know my vets wouldn't agree to regular GAs. Having read in the other post about a new procedure maybe there is still hope.

Back