• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Liquid Poo...what to do? :(

Little_Girl

Warren Scout
help! just found Barbie had some liquid poo in her house...:cry::cry:
It is a very brownly colour, definely not blood or pee...

Im sure it just started as I done a complete clean on her house this morning and there was nothing wrong...

She has a pet blanket and it got a bit wet, and her feet got dirty too! I also found a few drops if that on the floor...

She has been eating the same hay since she came, the only thing is that she ate a tiny slice of starwberry this afternoon for her 2nd time...
could it be the reason for the liquid poo? :?

She is eating and drinking okay and being very active, but im so worry!

I will take her to the vet tomorrow morning, but i wonder do I need to call for emergency now?

sigh....:(

How much are we talking?

Are we talking very runny or just an uneaten caceal?

If she keeps doing it then I would seriously consider the vets now.

If it was just a small one off then just continue to monitor her.

DSCF5439.jpg

This a dried runny caecal. If it's any worse than this, continues & is actually soaking into the carpet she needs to see a vet today.
I don't know where you are, but bramble/blackberry leaves are very good for improving this.
Also I would stop all veg & pellets & keep her on a hay only diet, ensuring she has plenty to drink. Some buns drink better from a small bowl than a bottle.

Stator and thumps...thanks for replying!:wave:

It was quite runny, actually soaked into her blanket!

Luckily it stoped at around 30mins later...I monitored her overnite, check her every 1,2 hour,

she had her 1st solid poo about 2 hours later since it started, then more and more, and no more watery poo so far! :D

I have stopped all her veg/fruits, just gave her 2 pellets to keep her happy...

is there anything else i need to do now? also, I found this product on the sites,

vSL1W4vjLNFwHnsdZI6ss6GjzSqrBH05p4SEa2kH9NJ1DBFz8EonB_eO0WkJpSa_bWDFc-mQPc5AgcN5HdFZ4m690wXlGgswni6CPUqC0tGgVn58RrNfZavuITyxlpP-Knyhm1_Lj4FWjrqRXvIUF5ggj9Q4hb24gVfc78_B6LWAwgVWGg

what this for? should i buy one of them?

Thanks again!

Hi how much veg/fruit and pellets do you feed ya bunny daily it maybe the fruit / veg one of my bunnys can't have fruit or veg or she gets a bad tummy and soft poos I hope she/ he gets better soon as for that beaphar tummy care I wouldn't give ya bunny that if ya worried I would take bunny to let the vet check him/her over :):)

Stator and thumps...thanks for replying!:wave:

It was quite runny, actually soaked into her blanket!

Luckily it stoped at around 30mins later...I monitored her overnite, check her every 1,2 hour,

she had her 1st solid poo about 2 hours later since it started, then more and more, and no more watery poo so far! :D

I have stopped all her veg/fruits, just gave her 2 pellets to keep her happy...

is there anything else i need to do now? also, I found this product on the sites,

vSL1W4vjLNFwHnsdZI6ss6GjzSqrBH05p4SEa2kH9NJ1DBFz8EonB_eO0WkJpSa_bWDFc-mQPc5AgcN5HdFZ4m690wXlGgswni6CPUqC0tGgVn58RrNfZavuITyxlpP-Knyhm1_Lj4FWjrqRXvIUF5ggj9Q4hb24gVfc78_B6LWAwgVWGg

what this for? should i buy one of them?

Thanks again!

:wave: Hi. I've had a look at the beaphar tummy care. I don't know about guinea pigs & rats, but it's not good for rabbits & IMO the fructose & carrot juice in it, could even worsen the situation.

OK. I'd expect the solid poohs. They're the ones we usually see, & should be nice & round & mostly contain crumbly fibre.
We don't usually see the other types of poo they make. These special poohs are different & the result of bacteria digesting food in the caecum. They're called caecotrophs often shortened to caecals. Normal caecals should look like a bunch of tiny black grapes. Bunny eats them before they hit the floor. They're made separately from the other poops about twice a day. There's a bit more about it & photos of different sorts of poohs here.
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?349755
(If you scroll down through a lot of different waste poohs you'll see the photo I posted. Just above it is a link showing a normal caecal.)
I know it sounds a bit disgusting at 1st. but rabbit pooh is the cleanest pooh going!
I still advise hay only + bramble leaves & if you get any more runny stuff it's the vets.;)
We'd call the problem your bunny has, "Dysbiosis". It's caused by inbalance of the bacteria in the caecum. As Wendel said it's usually the result of too many veg or pellets in the diet.

Last edited:
Hi how much veg/fruit and pellets do you feed ya bunny daily it maybe the fruit / veg one of my bunnys can't have fruit or veg or she gets a bad tummy and soft poos I hope she/ he gets better soon as for that beaphar tummy care I wouldn't give ya bunny that if ya worried I would take bunny to let the vet check him/her over :):)

Hi Wendle! :wave: I give Barbie a few leafs of herbs/veg or a slice of banana every 3,4 days....
For pellets, I limit it to half an egg cup everyday as a treat when playing with her...

But now im thinking to cut out the veg+fruits for couple of weeks as I dont want to upset her tummy again! :roll:

:wave: Hi. I've had a look at the beaphar tummy care. I don't know about guinea pigs & rats, but it's not good for rabbits & IMO the fructose & carrot juice in it, could even worsen the situation.

OK. I'd expect the solid poohs. They're the ones we usually see, & should be nice & round & mostly contain crumbly fibre.
We don't usually see the other types of poo they make. These special poohs are different & the result of bacteria digesting food in the caecum. They're called caecotrophs often shortened to caecals. Normal caecals should look like a bunch of tiny black grapes. Bunny eats them before they hit the floor. They're made separately from the other poops about twice a day. There's a bit more about it & photos of different sorts of poohs here.
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?349755
(If you scroll down through a lot of different waste poohs you'll see the photo I posted. Just above it is a link showing a normal caecal.)
I know it sounds a bit disgusting at 1st. but rabbit pooh is the cleanest pooh going!
I still advise hay only + bramble leaves & if you get any more runny stuff it's the vets.;)
We'd call the problem your bunny has, "Dysbiosis". It's caused by inbalance of the bacteria in the caecum. As Wendel said it's usually the result of too many veg or pellets in the diet.

Hi thumps! oh...I thought it is something to help the rabbits...not buying it then! :?
Thank you for the info! im new to keeping rabbit, but im very keen to learn about everything to keep Barbie healthy and happy! :lol:
I found this forum excellent and so helpful!:thumb:
okay i will stick to the hay then, may I ask you where to get bramble leaves ? are they available at the pet shops?

I will get her to the vet if she's not well again (touch wood!!)
Thanks again! x

Hi thumps! oh...I thought it is something to help the rabbits...not buying it then! :?
Thank you for the info! im new to keeping rabbit, but im very keen to learn about everything to keep Barbie healthy and happy! :lol:
I found this forum excellent and so helpful!:thumb:
okay i will stick to the hay then, may I ask you where to get bramble leaves ? are they available at the pet shops?

I will get her to the vet if she's not well again (touch wood!!)
Thanks again! x

:wave: Thanks for the compliment to RU. I'll leave it to wendle to help you with diet.

I'm one of the lunatics who get bunny food from the hedges -"forager".:lol: Brambles grow on waste ground & old hedges every where, even in cities eg old cemetaries, canal tow paths. Just need to get them away from busy roads where traffic fumes could cover them & above the height that a dog can wee! You can also buy them on the net - sometimes mixed with strawberry & raspberry leaves. It's the wrong time of year to start foraging cos the leaves are all dying back for winter but brambles (blackberries) are the last to go.
I love this video to prove that wildies like their brambles a lot. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6zRr_EpyNE enjoy it!

:wave: Thanks for the compliment to RU. I'll leave it to wendle to help you with diet.

I'm one of the lunatics who get bunny food from the hedges -"forager".:lol: Brambles grow on waste ground & old hedges every where, even in cities eg old cemetaries, canal tow paths. Just need to get them away from busy roads where traffic fumes could cover them & above the height that a dog can wee! You can also buy them on the net - sometimes mixed with strawberry & raspberry leaves. It's the wrong time of year to start foraging cos the leaves are all dying back for winter but brambles (blackberries) are the last to go.
I love this video to prove that wildies like their brambles a lot. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6zRr_EpyNE enjoy it!

aww...thats such a cute bun in the video! thanks for sharing!:love:
I think I will try to buy the leaves instead of picking them myself....as im not sure what is safe for buns, i dont have much knowledge about wild plants...:oops:
Is it okay if I buy a blackberry/strawberry plant at places like homebase, and pick the leaves? do they have to be dried before giving to buns?

Sorry i have so much to ask...thanks!:)

aww...thats such a cute bun in the video! thanks for sharing!:love:
I think I will try to buy the leaves instead of picking them myself....as im not sure what is safe for buns, i dont have much knowledge about wild plants...:oops:
Is it okay if I buy a blackberry/strawberry plant at places like homebase, and pick the leaves? do they have to be dried before giving to buns?

Sorry i have so much to ask...thanks!:)
:wave: No probs asking questions
It's fine to buy the plants & grow them in your garden, many people do this too. You can have a bonus of the fruit.
(Personally, I don't give my buns fruit, but would only speak about it if a bun was having tummy troubles, because the high sugar content causes problems in some but not all buns.) You'll find that people on here look after their buns in many different ways, which suit their bun & themselves. If you have a problem like the runny caecals, you'll find that the advice given will be remarkably similar.
50 years ago before vets could do anything to help buns, they always gave bramble leaves for runny poo. More recently we've found that if a few leaves are available buns will sort themselves out before they get ill. Some days they may eat a lot & then go a few days without eating any. I put some in with the hay, & top up as required.
Some buns prefer apple leaves (if you've access to a tree) or hawthorn.

There are types of blackberry which are thornless which are good to grow.
There are also strawberries which grow in hanging baskets which saves garden space.
No, the leaves don't have to be dried. They'll die back in winter, & because we mustn't suddenly change a bun's diet we dry them to secure a supply over winter.
As a rule of thumb, evergreens are poisonous for bunnies.

Early next spring you might start a small herb garden both for the bunnies & yourselves. A mix of herbs is better for some buns with tummy troubles than our veg.

Re. foraging, I've done it since childhood, as have a few others on here, who are more knowledgeable than I. Again I don't push it at folks, rather open a door for those who like getting outdoors. One RUer was so fascinated when she found the world of plants she was posting up to 13 photos for identification a day, stretching us oldies.:shock::lol: I think she moved to a botany forum!

:wave: No probs asking questions
It's fine to buy the plants & grow them in your garden, many people do this too. You can have a bonus of the fruit.
(Personally, I don't give my buns fruit, but would only speak about it if a bun was having tummy troubles, because the high sugar content causes problems in some but not all buns.) You'll find that people on here look after their buns in many different ways, which suit their bun & themselves. If you have a problem like the runny caecals, you'll find that the advice given will be remarkably similar.
50 years ago before vets could do anything to help buns, they always gave bramble leaves for runny poo. More recently we've found that if a few leaves are available buns will sort themselves out before they get ill. Some days they may eat a lot & then go a few days without eating any. I put some in with the hay, & top up as required.
Some buns prefer apple leaves (if you've access to a tree) or hawthorn.

There are types of blackberry which are thornless which are good to grow.
There are also strawberries which grow in hanging baskets which saves garden space.
No, the leaves don't have to be dried. They'll die back in winter, & because we mustn't suddenly change a bun's diet we dry them to secure a supply over winter.
As a rule of thumb, evergreens are poisonous for bunnies.

Early next spring you might start a small herb garden both for the bunnies & yourselves. A mix of herbs is better for some buns with tummy troubles than our veg.

Re. foraging, I've done it since childhood, as have a few others on here, who are more knowledgeable than I. Again I don't push it at folks, rather open a door for those who like getting outdoors. One RUer was so fascinated when she found the world of plants she was posting up to 13 photos for identification a day, stretching us oldies.:shock::lol: I think she moved to a botany forum!

Hi again thumps! yes it sounds like a good idea to grow herbs and leaves in the garden! I will start it as soon as Spring comes! :thumb::thumb:

I would like to buy some for Barbie now...are these dried blackberry&strawberry leaves okay for her?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SW-Dried-..._Reptiles_Spiders_Insects&hash=item53e814d175
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SW-Strawb..._Reptiles_Spiders_Insects&hash=item53e49fd6d9

These are for tortoises, are they also bunny safe?:roll:
thank you!x

Back