• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Cannot believe what I was just told!

mellyy

New Kit
A friend of the family came over earlier, I don't really know her but she also has a rabbit and so we got talking about them.
I mentioned that I'm looking to re-home a neutered male and introduce him to Rosie and this woman just suddenly said "Oh no no no, my vet told me that I can't get another rabbit as it will fight with my Bella! He said it's better to just have one rabbit as it will be happier. He also said that spaying her would be a waste of time too as it wont do anything and that I shouldn't bother vaccinating her as she probably won't need it" ...Honestly, it was so hard to keep a straight face when she was telling me this :shock::shock::shock:

How did that vet EVER qualify? I mean I know that rabbits could fight when introduced but sheesh! If my vet had said that to me I would have walked out :? Perhaps I'm just over reacting to her comment haha :oops: but it really shocked me a vet would say that.

:shock::shock::shock: you do get a lot of vets that aren't rabbit savvy but even then, you would have at least thought they'd recommend vaccinating! makes me so annoyed when vets say that :evil:

:shock::shock:
at that point I would have reached for my drawer fully of RWAF leaflets, and found out the name and address of her vet to mail a few to them too.

it's scary to think how many vets there might be out there offering such damaging advice and how many rabbits are dying lonely and sick because of this.

I find it quite hard to believe... are you sure she wasn't somehow exagerating because she saw how differently she treats her bunny to you and yours?

I find it quite hard to believe... are you sure she wasn't somehow exagerating because she saw how differently she treats her bunny to you and yours?

You might be right, she's the kind of person who would do that, because I do a lot of things differently to her. Well I hope so anyway because I wouldn't want that vet telling every rabbit owner that! :shock:

did you set her straight? give her any websites or leaflets or anything as I would.....

I would have but it was hard to get a word in edgeways when she was talking! I did mention I've got some leaflets on vaccinating rabbits and that it's important but she seemed to dismiss what I was saying :evil:

:shock::shock::shock: you do get a lot of vets that aren't rabbit savvy but even then, you would have at least thought they'd recommend vaccinating! makes me so annoyed when vets say that :evil:

Yeah, I'd say my vets are, although when I take my lovebird they haven't a clue!! I know :shock: my mouth almost dropped actually and I wanted to tell her that she should but she wouldn't have listened :roll:

:shock::shock:
at that point I would have reached for my drawer fully of RWAF leaflets, and found out the name and address of her vet to mail a few to them too.

it's scary to think how many vets there might be out there offering such damaging advice and how many rabbits are dying lonely and sick because of this.

I wish I had actually!! I have leaflets on vaccination I should have snuck it into her bag :lol:
It is :( At least some owners know better :)

A man in the vet waiting room told me it was unfair to keep rabbits inside when he found out I had house rabbits... turns out both his rabbits were decapitated by foxes when he let them free range in the garden in the day...

Sigh

My friend said that 'vaccinating rabbits is pointess because there isn't anything they can get that can kill them anyway'

Ummm myxo, anyone...?

A man in the vet waiting room told me it was unfair to keep rabbits inside when he found out I had house rabbits... turns out both his rabbits were decapitated by foxes when he let them free range in the garden in the day...

Sigh

Oh my god! Do some people even have common sense? :lol:

These sound like the kind of people who look at you as if you're mad when you're upset you lost a bun or piggie and say 'but it's only a rabbit'.

Idiots!!

Back