• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Feeling bad about my bunnies…U/D He's gone :(

Joh619

Alpha Buck
:(

Walter suddenly went downhill at the end of last week. He's had trouble with possible EC before (he had a head tilt a few years ago) but had recently not been able to hop properly and was pooing everywhere. He started weeing everywhere too so had another course of panacur and afterwards it seemed better. But then at the end of last week he's stopped using one of his back legs most of the time. He now just sits on it and wees on it :( He can still move it though (as he prooved by kicking me yesterday, I think he just doesn't remember how anymore). We had to give him a wash and though he's clean, he's dyed himself orange :(

He also tends to only turn around in one direction and managed to get himself tangled up in his hay, so since then I've been chopping up his hay so that's its too small to tie himself up.

Then I came home from work yesterday and Nora had obviously been pulling the fur out of his back as he had a big bald patch, so I had to separate them :( He's now in my little hutch in the conservatory and he's got vet bed and blankets and a little litter tray that he doesn't need to hop in and out of. I really thought we were going to have to take him for his last trip to the vets last night, but we gave him a wash and he was cleaning his front paws while we washed his bottom, and he was wiggling to get more pellets when we gave him some. It's so difficult to know what to do. His little body is giving up on him, but he really tries to carry on! But I feel bad as he's stuck in a hutch on his own, and I can't really put a lot more in there to keep him entertained as he can't get around very well.

The last time I took him to the vets they said there wasn't really anything more that could be done for him :(

And Mrs Nora is in the playhouse outside on her own. I think she's happier now that it's dry without Walter being in there as for the last few days she's just been sat on the shelf where he couldn't get onto anymore. But she seemed to be getting a lot friendlier towards people recently, but when I went to see her this morning she seemed to be a lot more grumpy. I worry that she's going to be lonely now :( She's got a snugglesafe to keep her warm though, but I don't think she sits next to it!

Sorry for rambling on, I just needed to get this out of my system to people who would understand :)

Last edited:
I'm sorry Walter is poorly :cry: and that you've had to separate them, although sounds like for their own good :(

:(I'm sorry, this must be upsetting. You are doing your best for them though. You might find some advice on managing Walter's condition in the 'health' section. EC. is sadly not that unusual in rabbits.

Im so sorry all this is happening EC is a :censored: of a disease! I hate it with every fibre.

you are doing whats best for your buns and can only do what you can.

be there for them thats all you can do

I had to take little Walt to the vets on saturday as he was getting worse :( His head tilt had come back and coupled with not being able to use his back legs he was having trouble getting around. I don't think he was enjoying his daily baths anymore either.

The vet agreed that it was starting to affect his quality of life and that there wasn't anything more we could do for him. His back end was starting to get sore despite everything we were doing for him, so he was PTS on Saturday :(

I haven't stopped crying all weekend and I'm just trying to hold it together now I'm back at work. Poor Mrs Nora has been on her own for a week now in the cold so I feel even worse :'(

I am so sorry :cry: You did what was best for Walter, even though it has been so awful for you. That shows true love

RIP Walter xx

I am so sorry you have lost Walter. I went through a similar experience with my bun George, who we had to have pts at the end of September, because of EC. It is heart-breaking and I remember going into work on the Monday morning, after having him pts on the Saturday morning, and it was just awful. You did everything you could for him and I'm sure he knew that. Binky-free Walter and hugs to you at such a horrid time - I know how you're feeling, as I'm still struggling too. xxx

so sorry for your loss. Youdid everything you could and Walter knows that. Sadly it was just his time and you helped him go with a little dignity intact. Hugs.

Huge and massive hug from me. (((Hugs))) I know how horrible it is to make that decision, but I really did think you did the right thing. Lucky bun to have such a caring mum.

Just read your story - made me cry so hearbreaking, I feel for you but you did all you could for him and as hard as it is it was the best thing for him. Bless his little soul. Big hugs XXXX

Thank you guys. Your kind words have helped me today.

Mrs Nora does look kinda sad. She's not a big fan of people, but I've been trying to spend a bit more time with her. She was happy playing with me this morning, but only because I had carrot :lol: I am looking for somebun for her, not as a replacement, but just as a new friend.

Thank you guys. Your kind words have helped me today.

Mrs Nora does look kinda sad. She's not a big fan of people, but I've been trying to spend a bit more time with her. She was happy playing with me this morning, but only because I had carrot :lol: I am looking for somebun for her, not as a replacement, but just as a new friend.

Bless her. I hope you find a suitable companion for her to snuggle up to in the winter months. I think even non-people buns still like company, so I'm sure she appreciated you as well as the carrot.

Back