• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

1st day of bonding

samijofood

Young Bun
im starting this thread as a diary of my bonding experience with my jed and a rabbit called misty that iv just got from a member called furballs. also so furballs can see progress aswell as regular contact privatly.

unfortuanatly the bond between misty and ex husbun harvey didnt work after many tried to rebond. i met furballs on this site and she told me her situation after reading a post about finding a wifey for my jed.

1st date (intro) went fairly well.
both buns were a little shy. jed wouldnt come to me at 1st untill i got the treats out lol
lots of sniffs and looking followed by a bit of ignoring untill jed decided to get a lil too close to mistys bum i think and she pulled his fur. we seperated them quickly. and now their cages are next to eachother with a 6inch gap to see and smell each other.
both buns seam to be relaxed, jed is as normal self, laid out back legs out. misty is sat looking around and sniffing a lot, but she seams relaxed and settled. she has eaten some food which is good considering a drive in the car, new home smells and intro to a new bun.

fingers crossed for jed and misty

are you ok now? :)

misty is settling in fine so far. :D she has been eating well and has been laid out for a while sleeping.

1st day bonding update

iv put both buns together for a second date.

after around 5 min of hopping around and sniffing weve had nose touching and a lil mount from jed then misty.
then jed decided he had enough and wanted to go back to his pen. so iv called it a night for tonight. both buns are in their seperate cages but still next to eachother. both have had some treats and a good stroke/fuss, ready to try again in the morning.

2nd day bonding

after both buns had breakfast iv tried again putting them together.

misty was all fine and dandy, hopping around exploring. jed has came up a few times to nosey and sniff.
again some nose touching. jed jumped in air a few times misty ignored him whilst eating a bit of hay.
misty approched jed and touched nose jed didnt like that and ears went back and tail went up so i quickly seperated before any fight broke out and both have been fine. todays date lasted around 20 mins this morning.

tbh im not sure how jed will pan out with this. misty is making good progress and is all relaxed and seems to be keen to meet and great with head bowing and even eating and laying down with jed around but jed is still a little stand offish.
he is fine whn sandy is doing her own thing but when she approached jed you can see he is being warey of her.

on 1st impressions what do people think so far??

I don't think you are keeping them together for long enough in order for them to sort themselves out. Good luck.

how long would you sugest then?

iv read articals on here and seeked advice from members and rescue centres beforehand and they suggested 15/20mins in a neutral area for both buns ie kitchen, bathroom or hall way. and increase the time if all seams to be fine.

Back