• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Abscess management

Sky-O

Wise Old Thumper
Lighters has a dental abscess. He has now been on Crystapen for 4 weeks. His swelling has shrunk right down and it doesn't seem to cause him pain and he is totally acting like his normal self again, however, his actual abscess capsuley thing seems to be increasing.

So what next?

Do we try a different kind of penicillin? Deopcillin?

We can't treat him with opening and flushing and stuff because he just wouldn't cope so we're on medical management.

Thanks in advance.

I dont think it will be possible to totally 'cure' the abscess without removing the offending tooth/tooth root. So it may be a case of keeping him on longterm antibiotics. Crystapen is pretty similar to Depocillin so I dont think changing from one to the other will be of much benefit to be honest.

I have been wondering how Lightening has been getting on. With Minnie she will always have lumps and bumps as you know. Minnie only has her injection once a week and that is suiting her fine. :)

With Scarlet they were putting the antibiotic into the abcess cavity, not sure if that is an option for you or not. This is whilst she was at the RSPCA so I don't have the full details, just what is in her vet notes from there.

Back