• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I would prefer to give a cat a pill!

Mrsmcarey

Mama Doe
Stu has had his op and today is much brighter and back to himself, thank goodness,

vet has given me anti-botics today I have tried to give him 1.6m dose, not a chance :roll:

Bunny says no! :evil: , My chest looks like I have been in a slasher movie :lol:

Wrapped him in a blanket, I did manage to get some down but I think most was over me, and it doesn't taste very nice either:lol:

Put a bit on some apple not a chance he doesn't like banana, tried on a basil leaf he spat it out:lol::roll:

Any other tips or just fight with him again tomorrow

check up at the vet on Thursday will take the last dose with us they can do it:lol:

Try it mixed into Supreme Recovery or Oxbow Critical Care - works for every medication I've tried.

You could try mixing it into mushed up/softened pellets for a cheaper option, but I've found it doesn't work quite as well.

Try it mixed into Supreme Recovery or Oxbow Critical Care - works for every medication I've tried.

You could try mixing it into mushed up/softened pellets for a cheaper option, but I've found it doesn't work quite as well.

He doesn't get pellets on rabbit mix and doesn't eat the pellets in that :roll:

What about fruit juice, I heard you can tempt with high juice? Does it need to be sugar free?

These are what Ive done in the past.

Put the antibiotic on a few shreedies, mine love them

Added blackcurrent juice to the syringe to sweeten the medicine.

This is how I 'do' cats and rabbits:

Kneel down and put the animal between my legs on something they can dig into , usually an old towel. As you put the syringe in their mouth they try to move backwards but cos you are knelt down your feet stop them. I can generally manage to tablet either buns or cats on my own with this method.

If I have help i sit the rabbit on someones knee on a towel and I kneel infront and syringe.

Good luck, if only they understood it was being done for their own good

I injected it into a dandylion stalk - not sure if you can find any around still though.:wave:

Think there are a couple still on the car park, no one ever mows it, but I have some flat leaf thistle that is still growing I will give that a try :D

These are what Ive done in the past.

Put the antibiotic on a few shreedies, mine love them

Added blackcurrent juice to the syringe to sweeten the medicine.

This is how I 'do' cats and rabbits:

Kneel down and put the animal between my legs on something they can dig into , usually an old towel. As you put the syringe in their mouth they try to move backwards but cos you are knelt down your feet stop them. I can generally manage to tablet either buns or cats on my own with this method.

If I have help i sit the rabbit on someones knee on a towel and I kneel infront and syringe.

Good luck, if only they understood it was being done for their own good

:D can try all these, I'm well armed, thanks for the tips :D

Cats are easy they eat prawns :lol:

I was surprised how quick he could wriggle a foot out and reverse :lol:, I think I ate more of it than he did this morning:roll:

Bunny says Not on your life

Well I think I got most of it down today, wrapped in a towel he ain't happy and now anything I try to hand feed he won't take :cry:

And I am now sporting a lovely bruise on my tummy where teeth made contact fortunately through the towel and a thick jumper, Ouch :?

Oh dear, I can really sympathise. Spenser is AWFUL to medicate. He can sometimes be seduced into taking a drop of medicine via fenugreek crunchie.

Does he eat sugar snap peas?? I make a slit at the top of the pea and put the meds in there, like a wee pocket, then feed :)

He doesn't get pellets on rabbit mix and doesn't eat the pellets in that :roll:

What about fruit juice, I heard you can tempt with high juice? Does it need to be sugar free?

Museli is generally quite low in fibre (the highest in the UK is only 14%) whereas pellets you can get ones as high as 29% and Supremes new monoforage pellets as high as 32% - so if you could reduce the mix till he takes pellets that would be good for his health. It also eliminates selective feeding - at the moment he may not be getting all the vitamins and minerals he needs because he is not eating all the parts of the mix.

You could use fruit juice, I find carrot works well, the vet also reccommended tomato juice, but it is hard to find ones that are free from added salt. I've used apple in the past but its not a strong flavour so you need more than carrot to cover up the taste of the meds. If I need to use it again I'll just whizz up some tinned tomatos in the blender (nothing added) and use that. With juice, it is sugary, so not for buns with gut problems, and not ideal longterm. You definitely do not want sugar-free, as sugar-free juice/squash have added sweeteners in. Preferably you want pure juices (not squash) with nothing added: make sure you check labels.

Thankfully no more anti-biotics, Stu is doing well he has another check up next Thursday, then he will be signed off from the Vet woopee

as i was working thismorning Hubby took him to the vet armed with the last dose of Anti-Biotic, the vet gave them so at least he got all of one dose :oops:

Hubby said Vet made it look easy :censored:, as he giggled his head off watching me do it last night. :roll:

I put it on Apple, Basil Leaf, Corriander, Crunchies (he doesnt like the Fenugreek crunchies:roll:), fruit juice, dandilion now he wont take anything i try to hand feed him:cry:

Perseverence i think show him i'm not hiding anythink nasty;)

thanks for all your tips, i think i will just pay extra for the vet to do it next time:D

But then there won't be a next time :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Back