• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Please Help - Wispa may need his eyes syringed =(

Mister_Wispa

Young Bun
I mentioned a while ago my bun Wispa had watery eyes. He was given drops which cleared them for a while, but the wateryness has come back and it's making the fur round his eyes sticky and matted. My vet said if it continues he may have to have his tear ducts syringed.

I want the best for him but don't want to put him through this horrible procedure unless i have to. Had anyone had this done to their bun and if so how have they coped?

He is eating fine and seems happy which suggests to me its not his teeth. I'm so worried, any help will be very appreciated!

:cry:

My Roly had this done, it completely cleared the problem and he got home the same day. Although it sounds awful I think it's a fairly minor thing provided there are no complications.

My Alice had it done about a month ago, she seemed fine when she got back from the vets so can't have been to traumatic for her!
If still get them to check his teeth though...

in that case, Eli had that done and it sorted his eyes right out. He did have it done while he was under anaesthetic anyway but he seemed absolutely fine afterwards, so I wouldn't worry too much.
Short term discomfort for long term relief :thumb:

My old vet flushed a buns tear ducts in front of me once. It wasn't nice but it wasn't horrendous either, I hope your little one feels better soon but don't worry about a tear duct flush. That will be fine xxx

Thanks for your advice guys, it's put my mind at ease a bit. He's hopping around fine but his face is really affected by the sticky tears.
Not that it would affect my decision, but roughly how much did it cost you guys to get it done? Just so i have a rough figure!
x

Sounds worse than it is - they put anaesthetic drops in the eye first so Wispa wouldn't feel anything!

Has the Vet established if it is tooth root elongation that is causing the runny eyes ? This is often the reason, especially in Lop eared Rabbits. The tooth roots can over grow and press on the nasolacrimal duct (tear duct) preventing it from draining and causing the runny eyes problem. I would certainly discuss this possibility with the Vet as if it were to be the problem then it may mean more specific treatment/long term management is required. Tooth root elongation cannot be diagnosed just by looking at the crowns of the teeth, skull xrays are required.

Tooth root elongation usually indicates other Dental issues and so it may be that Dental problems are something that need to be addressed too, not just flushing the Ducts.

http://www.australianvet.com/rabbitdacrocystitis.html

http://www.ivis.org/journals/exoticdvm/9-1/venold.pdf

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Miscellaneous/DacrocystitisRabbit.htm

Good Luck

Back