• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

dentals - end of the road? *ud 09/11/12*

Crunchie

Warren Veteran
Wee JayJay had a dental three weeks ago. We recently found out he has a tooth missing at the back and the other grows rapidly to the roof of his mouth.
Today he stopped eating and on going to the vet it was found that the tooth had once again grown to the roof of his mouth in the space of three weeks.

It's been burred again today and he's apparently bright enough just now but I'm not sure if he's starting to eat again.

I was wondering if there are any options available to us that folk know of. They spoke briefly of removong it when it was first discovered but that idea seems to have been abandoned.

Last edited:
How old is he and does he have any other Dental issues ?

He's around 5 years old and last time he had a dental he had spurs burred from most of his back teeth.

After speaking with the vet on the phone the plan is to do an op to burr and loosen the tooth tomorrow providing he's ok. He has started eating again but is on a large dose of metacam.:(

Last edited:
He had his dental today and once again refused to breathe throughout the entire op. They tried to loosen the tooth but couldn't as it's too healthy and at the moment his condition is too poor to be able to cope with the longer op required for a removal in any case.

They said he can't keep having dentals every three weeks so I'm guessing we're fast running out of options.

I replied in your other thread, im not much help at all though :( all I can say is I hope a solution comes for this wee guy.
Sending vibes xxxx

What a dreadful shame. Unfortunately I am of no practical help other than they are the best bunny vetsaround here and you can be sure that what they are telling you is best will no doubt be right. It must be heartbreaking.

My mum spoke to the vet when we picked JayJay up. She says she's reasonably confident the tooth will come out eventually and given he has always recovered from dentals very well it'd be worth doing 3-4 more as long as they weren't too close together to try and get the lone tooth loosened and taken out. Although he'd still need regular dentals for his other teeth it wouldn't be nearly as bad if this one tooth were removed.

They have burred the tooth down to the gum-line this time and hope that we won't need another dental nearly so quickly. We've to feed him on different pellets to try and help him gain a bit more muscle but at the moment he's happy and they don't want to see him back unless we're concerned about him. They think it's possible he stopped eating due to fireworks as he was visibly distressed the night people were letting them off and the stasis happened soon after.

Not going to get my hopes up but hopefully at the very least we have a little more time with him. The vets always like having him in as he's so funny and demands attention from everyone. Such a shame he spent the first 4 years of his life shut away in a tiny cage on his own. :cry: I think it was someone called Joe who did his op this time and apparently they are perfecting the anesthetic required.

Everything crossed for your little man, Crunchie.
I'm really glad they're giving him a good chance.

Back