• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Does anyone bond in Berkshire?

nori

Young Bun
Hi all,

Ive found a little RSPCA rabbit im interested in but they cant bond for me. Im not confident to do it myself and it would be a nightmare with my 4 year old and 2 year old (children) around

Does anyone know of anyone that could help out if i was considered for adoption? The rescue rabbit is middlesex and im Berkshire (Newbury)

Right.. looks like i will have to attempt this myself. Ive been reading up but theres so many different opinions.

I thought you suppose to start in a small space but the RSPCA where im getting Lily from said a bigger space is better so they arent getting so annoyed with each other.

One website said not to let them hump too much and never let them have a scuffle but the RSPCA said let them get it out of their system.

Do i put litter trays down?
Do i feed them together?
Do i sit with them?
How often should i give them time together (again ive read different things)
If they do have a run in do i seperate straight away or leave them to calm down?
If im relocating both to a neutral room should i use this room for bonding or stick to a different room?

Reading the stories on here it seems like a nightmare this bonding milarky!

Right.. looks like i will have to attempt this myself. Ive been reading up but theres so many different opinions.

I thought you suppose to start in a small space but the RSPCA where im getting Lily from said a bigger space is better so they arent getting so annoyed with each other.

One website said not to let them hump too much and never let them have a scuffle but the RSPCA said let them get it out of their system.
Do i put litter trays down?
Do i feed them together?
Do i sit with them?
How often should i give them time together (again ive read different things)
If they do have a run in do i seperate straight away or leave them to calm down?
If im relocating both to a neutral room should i use this room for bonding or stick to a different room?

Reading the stories on here it seems like a nightmare this bonding milarky!

The advice you have been given from the RSPCA is both concerning and disappointing :(:evil: Which branch gave you this advice?

Bonding can be tricky (even for someone who is very experienced). It can also be very stressful for both buns and owner! Following the CORRECT guidelines can make the world of difference, reduce the risk of injury, illness etc :thumb: If the RSPCA have already tried to (incorrectly) bond your male rabbit with a female and it hasn't been successful, the damage may have already been done and they may not now bond :( I assume they are happy to have the girl back if you are unable to bond them? Please bear in mind that any kind of major change (like moving house) is quite stressful for rabbits and so each time this happens it can unsettle them. You need to give them time to relax, make sure they are both eating & pooing etc before attempting anything. You also need to allow at least 2-3 full days of being at home to supervise the bonding (although it could take much longer). They mustn't be left unattended, even for a second until they are 100% bonded & happy with each other.

I've only touched on a few areas. There's a lot to understand about bonding. I believe there is a thread on here giving a step by step guide on how to bond, well worth reading :thumb:

Personally I'd always use a recommended rescue to bond for me, my nerves couldn't stand it and yes, it can be a nightmare :lol:

Last edited:
Back