• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Abandoned rabbits- it's worse than we thought

RosRWAF

Warren Scout
New figures from the Rabbit Welfare Association & Fund (RWAF), the biggest UK charity dedicated to improving the lives of pet rabbits, show that the number of unwanted rabbits has nearly doubled in recent years.

The last meaningful survey conducted by the charity estimated the number of rabbits given up to rescue shelters at around 35,000. The organisation has recently conducted another survey, and was shocked to find the figure now standing at well over 67,000.

"What is really worrying," said Richard Saunders, RWAF Veterinary Expert Advisor, "is that this number only reflects the cases where the rabbits have made it into rescue. We can't possibly quantify how many more are dumped in the wild and left to fend for themselves, which leads to almost certain death, by the way. Then there are those who, when the novelty has worn off, are simply neglected and left often in a hutch with no access to exercise space and almost no attention except for a handful of food now and again."

The charity also points out that countless unwanted pet rabbits are sold for next to nothing through classified ads both in newspapers and online as well as at livestock auctions. It is understood that many of these are bought as meat.

In the survey, almost all the rescues said that the problem is getting worse, with more and more people wanting to rehome their pet rabbits. Many said they are only able to take in around 10% of the requests they receive, with most having waiting lists of 2-6 months. Many owners will not wait that long, and take their own steps to dispose of the animal.

The answer? Well the charity's message is simple on this one. Rabbits are not the cheap and easy children's pet that they are often mistaken as being. They are as big a commitment as a cat or dog, and people should think long and hard, and do their research before taking them on. And even longer and harder before they decide to breed 'just one litter' from their pets, all of which will then need to find homes. If you can't commit to providing rabbits with the space, companionship, vet care and proper diet for ten years or more, then rabbits are not for you.

For more information on caring for rabbits please go to http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk

Oh gosh, how sad to think that that figure has doubled :shock: It was big enough in the first place!!

Please note, this is 67,000 rabbits going into rescues PER YEAR.

:cry:

I wish p@h would stop selling them:evil: I know they aren't the only ones but its would be a massive impact I think. Not just buns though, all of the animals in general :( they're all in terrible housing and ours only sell 3 and 4ft hutches now.. :cry: with conti cross rabbits :( hardly any hay between 10+ buns, green water bottles that look like they're left for days on end and all on woodshavings.

Last edited:
Seems to be the same with so many other animals as well. So many rescue organisations having to turn away dozens of animals every week (or even every day!)

If only I had a massive house (and bank account) to take some of them in :(

These figures are staggering . and when you stop to consider how many wee bunny faces that means, utterly heartbreaking.....

And that doesn't take into account the number of buns rescued or taken in by the general public,
The only comforting thoug if there is one, is maybe its because people are no longer dumping them?

We have taken in 14rabbits in a week, we keep getting more hutches to accomodate, but soon will have no more room at all, and have to start turning away, which breaks my heart.

My local rescue who Cpayne also helps with, will always take them, but always try to keep them from going there to leave space for all the others :0(

Sad times, they are also considering a horse cull due to rescues at breaking point

Back