• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How to make living room bunny proof? any help?

Oscarandlola

Young Bun
Hello,

i have got all the wires up off the ground i can, but obviously their still remains the tv and dvd player with leads and a tall corner lamp that has a wire aswell. Worryingly i noticed Tilly eating through the wire while it was on and i was making dinner. luckily i caught her in time and turned off the light and stopped her from chewing it but 5 mins more and she may have been dead! for the few wires i have left is their anything i can get to protect them?

I live in a 1 bedroom flat with my g.f. It is quite big and posh tho :p....but its a open plan kitchen and living room which is wear the rabbits are allowed as its all laminate flooring. they ruined my last carpet in my old house by marking territory.

so whats the best plan? do you guys let your bunnys loose all the time? Mine can be hard to get back in the cage when they are over excited and want to stay out and play, especially when i have to go to work!!!.....and they just end up stomping and getting annoyed.

please any ideas and info would be great!

I use these sorts of cable tidy...can get them in white and silver as well if you look around. Not totally bunny proof, but gives you a bit of extra time! Also you could use C&C panels to block off areas. I also use plywood cut to size to separate the dining area (where my bunnies are 24/7) from the rest of the open plan house. Plywood behind computer desk and TV stand...just cut holes to feed cables through if needed.

Buns also love chewing leather ....so keep them away from leather settees and handbags and expensive boots :lol: I learnt the hard way:lol:

Agree with the cable tidies.

Have a look in Homebase and B&Q for ideas for to hide away cables - PVC tubing works quite well.

We've managed to hide all our cables behind book shelves and areas they can't get to -but we've still lost a TV ariel and a couple of computer mice (once when I was working to a really tight deadline:shock:)

We tend to let the rabbits out before they get their breakfast for their morning bounce around for a couple of hours - by the time OH goes to work, they are more than ready for breakfast and come racing back into their hutches...food always works as a bribe to get them back.

:thumb:

15-01.jpg

This is the sort of thing I do. Power cables on the left, internet cable on the right.

My philosophy is that two lines of defence are better than one so I use the cable tidy things but I also block the wires off with mesh panels or furniture. My thinking on this being that if they do get past the things used to block it off there is at least something to protect them until I notice. I've found with mine though that to get hosing strong enough for them not to chew through it is so strong it's very unwieldy and difficult to get it to lay right.

Back