• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Scattering of hay in litter tray, then peeing and pooping on it!

cpayne

Warren Veteran
I get through so much hay as Doughnut loves sitting in her litter tray. I put the hay one end and the other end is for her to poop and wee in. She always scatters it all over the tray and then eats the part nearest her face.

Does everyone's rabbit do this. I change her litter twice a day, just the end bit that needs changing, so always lots of new hay. She also pulls down lots of hay from her hay rack and scatters it onto her fleece blanket. Guess it's cosy for her.

Has anyone any ideas how keep it separate?

She's got her tray, then the recycled biocat paper and then I've put a bit of tapestry plastic over half and the hay sits on top of that. The back part of the tray only has the paper in it for her to pee on. It's easier that way as the hay on top of the front bit doesn't get messed up with paper. It would all work brilliantly if she would use it like I want her to!:D

What about a hay rack above the litter tray?

I just use an underbed storage box for all my buns (indoor and outdoor) I put megazorb in the bottom and cover with plenty of hay..I just accept that they will pee/poop in there (pee is always in the corners) and so they just dog through and pick bits out :thumb: I change them daily :)

ETA I chuck loads of hay away aswell...especially now its so much colder!!

I have a 3 ft under bed storage box as a litter tray for 4 buns ( about a third filled with aubiose). They also like to spread the hay and lay on it, poop on it. They tend to wee in the corners of the litter tray, so I just put a handfull of each type of fresh hay in the middle in the morning, again mid afternoon, and again in the evening! After a couple of days, the tray is nearly full ( of flattened hay!), so I empty it and start again!

I've tried hanging baskets, racks, a small box of hay inside the litter tray (which they just tip up and empty :lol:) and they just won't eat it unless it is in their litter tray!
I've also tried filling a large dog bowl with hay....they sit in the dog bowl and poop on the hay!

And if I fill a large box with hay, they get in the box and poop and wee till the bottom is soaked!

I've resigned myself to the fact that a lot of nice expensive ings and rye,wheat & barley hay goes to waste! make good compost though :roll:

She likes to wee in the dark bit of her hutch and the hay rack is in the wire part with her fleece blanket. There again since she's come back from the bunnery she's weeing in her play pen as well which is attached.

I think she seems to like to wee on hay because if I put a bag of hay on the floor for her to eat out of, I always have lots of poops there and also a little tiddle on it!

Is aubiose better than the biocat recycled litter, I haven't heard of it before. I find the recycled paper isn't smelly but I do always keep the litter tray clean

The only way I've found to minimise hay wastage is to give them less, but more often. I top up their hay at least 3 times a day, which works for me as I have hay crazy bunsters who LOVE fresh hay, so they always pounce on the new stuff despite still having plenty of the old left.

The only time they will eat all the hay in their litter tray is when I have just cleaned them out, they will happily jump in and eat every last scrap in about an hour. So I guess if I cleaned them out twice a day I would have zero hay wastage. But would be throwing away lots of clean cat litter so would waste that instead :?

I think with rabbits you just have to accept that there will be wastage... Most likely lots of wastage!

I use an under bed storage litter tray and fill the base with horse wood bedding then over the top I put a layer of straw then I use a hay rack and attach it to the side of the puppy playpen with clips so its above the litter tray and poke it through the bars (otherwise they just pull the whole lot of hay out and poop and wee on it!). I fill this up in the morning, at tea time when I get home from work and before I go to bed and they seem to empty it completely. Its the best way I have found to minimise wastage.

I use cheap hay from The Range (although they do eat that too!) and fill the storage box then put a pile of their hay for pets hay in the middle because they tend to sit and pee in the corners :) It saves the expensive stuff but I top it up a few times in the day and before they get fed at night :)

I'll pleased to see Doughnut wastes as much as everyone else.

I clean her tray out in the morning and she gets more hay, then when I get in in the evening then I top up with more hay before bed. Like others have said on her if I put new hay in she jumps in her litter tray even when she has lots left.

I probably do give her far too much but I like to know she won't go hungry at night or while I'm at work. She always has her favourite bits of hay too, whatever hay I've got her and she prefers stalky yellow bits, when I've got her stalky yellow bits she still doesn't eat the whole lot. Some bits are still better.

I guess I could get straw for her to sit on which seems a good idea but as I get hayfever I don't want to make it worse. Will just carry on with the wastage but thanks to everyone for letting me know their ideas and that their little buns do exactly the same!

Back