• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can anyone help me tell the breed of ym rabbit?

Oscarandlola

Young Bun
I posted this thread on the wong forum this morning so will start it again here :)

these pictures are from this morning and she is 12-13 weeks old. i dont have scales so dont know how much she weighs. i cant tell if she is a french lop or dwarf lop. She is as big as my dutch rabbit now....mnaybe even slihly bigger. But i saw some dwarf lops in a pet shop that look exactly like her too. any help would be great! here are some pics

She looks like my Pebbles who is a mini or a dwarf lop I believe. He weighs 2.2-2.3Kg (Dwarf Range is 1-9-2.3Kg adult weight and French lop minimum weight should be 4.4Kg)

For mini lops:

Senior Bucks- 6 months of age and older, weight 4½ lbs to 6½ lbs (2.04-2.9Kg)
Senior Does- 6 months of age and older, weight 3 lbs to 6 lbs (1.36-2.72 Kg)

However two other sites say this "Dwarf lops and Mini lops are very similar in appearance, size being the only real difference between the two. Dwarf lops are the larger of the two and may weigh as much as 2.5 kg. The smaller Mini lop has a maximum weight of 1.6 kg."

So give her a few months and weigh her then.

I'd say dwarf personally. The head shape is wrong for a mini - they normally look like they've been hit in the face with a frying pan :lol: - sorry only way i could think of describing it!

Looks very similar to how my Biscuit looked at ~12 weeks and he's a dwarf - currently 2.1Kg's.

Doesnt look big enough for a 12 week frenchy, in my opinion :)

I'd say dwarf personally. The head shape is wrong for a mini - they normally look like they've been hit in the face with a frying pan :lol: - sorry only way i could think of describing it!

*covers poor Alfie's ears* :lol::lol::lol: I think breed standard mini and dwarf lops look very similar - there seem to be more dwarf lops than mini lops (especially in pet shops) that don't really fit the breed standard though and so I tend to associate the slightly more 'natural' face shape this bunny has with dwarf lops too. Having said that though, Alfie's face at a young age was pretty similar to the photos posted here but he developed the 'hit in the face with a frying pan' look when he matured.

Going by size, I would say she's more likely to be a dwarf than a frenchie but sometimes it's hard to know for sure - some dwarf lops turn out to be huge and bunny could even be a mix of the two.

*covers poor Alfie's ears* :lol::lol::lol: I think breed standard mini and dwarf lops look very similar - there seem to be more dwarf lops than mini lops (especially in pet shops) that don't really fit the breed standard though and so I tend to associate the slightly more 'natural' face shape this bunny has with dwarf lops too. Having said that though, Alfie's face at a young age was pretty similar to the photos posted here but he developed the 'hit in the face with a frying pan' look when he matured.

Going by size, I would say she's more likely to be a dwarf than a frenchie but sometimes it's hard to know for sure - some dwarf lops turn out to be huge and bunny could even be a mix of the two.

It was the only analagy i could think of! :lol:

Once she is fully grown we will have a better idea, especially when you have her weight.

Mini lops and Dwarf lops have slightly different head placement. The head sits higher on a mini than a dwarf.

There is also the possibility of a german, which is in between dwarf and french.

And then you get all types of cross too.

I wouldn't worry too much about her breed though, jsut enjoy her for who she is :)

Back