• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Fallen in love with a rescue Rabbit

foxy2279

Alpha Buck
I went up to vist a local rescue i found on the internet. They also sell rabbit food, handmade hutches and toys to help with funding.

I was walking around the sheds where they keep the rabbits. Not the best of housing and the rabbits do not have any runs to exercise in. All of them could do with shedding a few pounds. But they had loads of hay.

I was walking along when i saw a giant rabbit he came up to the front of his hutch. I started talking to him in that silly voice we all use when talking to our rabbits. Then he started talking back to me. I was instantly in love with him.

I went to ask about him and look at hutches for him with the view to rehoming him. The hutch they showed me that would be suitable looked way to small for him. Decided to leave it and do some research first. Getting home and looking at my own i think it was smaller than my five foot one (i have a two tier one not ideal i know).

What would be the recommend size for a giant? Looking online i think he's some sort of giant lop breed.

I think giants need sheds, ideally? Someone should be along soon with more experience. Do hope you can get him; he sounds :love:

Awwwwwww

Yes I would say a shed/playhouse would be the best set up for a giant. At the rescue I work in the buns have cage/run set ups that are roughly 28 square foot (so they say but I reckon they are a bit smaller) but we also have 2 giants, which have a large section of a giant greenhouse with a run around tunnel to a small garden area, about 30ft square at a guess. They have 24hr access to the whole lot plus some shelter outside so in summer when the green house heats up they have everything they need outside.

I'd reckon a very large hutch/run combo would be ok, as London as they had some daily free range time but the hutch would have to be at least 6x3x3 with a large run attached.

A large shed with large attached run, I would say.

Alternatively, freerange in the house would also be good :D

Will look in to a shed. Sounds like the best option for him. We live in a rented house so not allowed a house bun. Would so love to have him indoors with us.

I am having a 10 x 6ft run made for my two boys which is coming this week so will ask the man who's making it the biggest he can make or may see about a aviary style run. Would like to sit and talk to him since he likes to talk.

Will contact the rescue first thing tomorrow and say i definatly want him (they have him on a 24 hour hold for me). They said they could hold him for me for 30 days. That will give me enough time to get everything ready for him.

Will look in to a shed. Sounds like the best option for him. We live in a rented house so not allowed a house bun. Would so love to have him indoors with us.

I am having a 10 x 6ft run made for my two boys which is coming this week so will ask the man who's making it the biggest he can make or may see about a aviary style run. Would like to sit and talk to him since he likes to talk.

Will contact the rescue first thing tomorrow and say i definatly want him (they have him on a 24 hour hold for me). They said they could hold him for me for 30 days. That will give me enough time to get everything ready for him.

Great news! :wave:

Rung to reserve him this morning and the owner said they have decided to keep him as he's such a character and a great ambassador for the rescue :cry:

Really wish i had taken him yesterday now but that hutch was just too small. Poor Bilbo is going to spend the rest of his life in a 8 x 4 pen :(.

Really gutted.

Thank you everyone for your advise.

Rung to reserve him this morning and the owner said they have decided to keep him as he's such a character and a great ambassador for the rescue :cry:

Really wish i had taken him yesterday now but that hutch was just too small. Poor Bilbo is going to spend the rest of his life in a 8 x 4 pen :(.

Really gutted.

Oh no that isn't fair :( poor bun sounds as though it doesn't have near enough as much space as it should:cry:

Did you tell them the space you'd got planned for him? I wonder if they'd change their mind if they realised how much of a better life he'd have with you.

Really gutted.

That's terrible, don't they want a better life for their rabbits! It doesn't make sense.

I would try again and say what a great home he would have with you all the space etc. Please don't give up, hopefully they will get fed up and change their mind. I can't see any good for them keeping him when they would then have space for another bun.

I did try telling the women about what i had planned for him. She just kept repeating that they were keeping him. Then had the nerve to ask me if i would consider sponsering him for £200 a year :shock: I gave her my phone number and said if they ever change their mind to call me.

Am going to get two shed and avairy run set ups after Christmas. One for my current two and one so i can take my time to look into another Rabbit/rabbits or them giving me Bilbo.

Will go to look at more proper rescues from now on.

Back