• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Can you check a rabbits sight?

HoneyBear

Mama Doe
Bit concerned about Bear.
He used to be the most placid bunny ever but he's becoming increasingly scared of noise, the fireworks are driving him nuts :cry:
Also had some people over last night and he hid behind the sofa the whole time which isnt like him at all, also I folded the quilt cover up in the lounge yesterday and he freaked out, all a bit weird...
I joke that he must be as blind as a bat, but wondering if there is any truth behind it.
Is there anyway to check? He will be at the vets the next few weeks as due vaccinations.

Try dropping a cottonwool ball in front of him, it makes no noise as it hits the ground but he should be alert to it if he can see it.

Also, the Vet can check rabbits sight too to determine whether there are any problems.

Is he the REW in your signature?

If so he is likely to have some sight issues. Have you noticed him 'scanning' when he's sat quietly? Sort of swaying his head back and forth?

The cotton wool ball is a ood idea but I've found that not all bunnies will look at things when they are dropped in front of them. I found the best way to find out how much sight they have is by waving a yummy piece of hay in front of them. If they see it, they will immediately try to eat it :lol:. I have a bun who is partially sighted, it took me forever to try to figure out how much she could see but using this method I found that she was nearly completely blind in one eye.
You need to be careful not to brush their whiskers, as they will respond as if they have seen it if they feel it.

Is he the REW in your signature?

If so he is likely to have some sight issues. Have you noticed him 'scanning' when he's sat quietly? Sort of swaying his head back and forth?

No my REW does scan lots, but its my blue eyed bunny that I think has the sight issues

My boy has been blind since birth, I wasn't aware of this when he came home with me. I noticed when he was walking he would bob his head up and down to test out the space around him.

My boy has been blind since birth, I wasn't aware of this when he came home with me. I noticed when he was walking he would bob his head up and down to test out the space around him.

He does bob his head up and down lots, I wonder....

I'm going to try the cotton wool and the hay tests tonight, thanks!

Didnt have any cotton wool but tried the hay test!
1st side he clocked it straight away but on his right side I waved it around for ages and he didnt notice it :(

Back