• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

WARNING Trugs

ShazzaBunny

Warren Veteran
My Summer passed away today, and while she was deteriorating for a long time, and this was not the "cause of death" it was an unnecessary pain and distress for Summer, that i will never forgive myself for. Please, dont let it happen to anybun else.....

This morning, i saw the most devastating scene. I use shallow trugs for hay, and Summer had somehow got herself stuck in the handle. At first i thought she was dead, as she was face down the the hay, her legs over the edge. She was alive, but exhausted. I freed her, gave her some metacam and dried her off (she was soaked from wetting herself). My husband was with her all day as she lay in a carrier with vetbed and fleece, resting, he gave her some food, and she eagerly ate it, bless her, loved her food to the end. She passed away a few hours later :cry:.
I do not believe it was getting stuck that killed Summer, and i do not believe it would happen to a "healthy" rabbit, but i have cut the handles off my trugs now.
I feel sick at the thought of her being so distressed, even if she was in her final few days, she did not deserve this, and i will never forgive myself for it happening. Please, if you use trugs, cut the handles off.

Oh bless you - what a horrible thing to have to witness. I'm so sorry for your loss. Sleep tight little one.

Sorry Shazzabunny.. Can you explain what trugs are?... Sorry, am I being thick?..

:( I'm so very sorry, please don't be too hard on yourself.

Thinking of you and sending hugs. xxx

I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your beloved bunny.

And thank you for sharing the warning.

I use them too but only to cart veggies around at supper time so never left in. Your word of warning could also equally apply to other things with small but rabbit accessable gaps that we just wouldn't consider dangerous. I'm certainly going to have a look at some of the equipment I have in their housing after your news.

Thanks for the warning Sharon , we use tug bucket's for cleaning out and carrying hay in.

So sorry about Summer I am so glad I had the privilege of meeting her when I came over to your home, as you know I had
a soft spot for her and I'm so upset at her loss :cry:

Thinking of you
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thanks for sharing. I don't use them but will certainly now take a look at the stuff I do use from this point of view. So sorry about Summer :cry: At least you found and freed her.

Back