• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice on keeping a trio together from birth?

indigoblue

New Kit
Hi

First post here! Have kept a pair of rabbits before both sadly passed away. I'm getting some baby rabbits from a rescue soon, originally picked out a male / female pair but now it has become apparent the male is what seems the runt of the litter and although he's been declared healthy by a vet is perhaps not quite "right".

There are 4 babies in the litter 2 female and 2 male, my options are to either take the other male instead and have a pair, or take the smaller male along with the 2 females. I don't want to take him in a pair as I don't want to be left with 1 on it's own if he passes away at a young age.

But I don't know what will be best, is a trio like this likely to succeed or is better to stick to a pair? They will all be neutered when old enough.

Thanks

If I were you I would take a pair (m/f). They will have to be split when they get to a certain age and then you will have to rebond after neutering anyway but if you have 3 its going to be quite complicated. I suppose it depends on how much time you have etc. Other than that its take all four (if you have space) and put mm/ff together when they are little...get them neutered and see if they will live as a foursome and if not have two pairs?

Don't rescues usually neuter before rehoming? I would talk to the rescue about this and about whether they would rebond after neutering.

I have three boys who have always been fine together. Obviously it would be different with a mixed trio but I have heard of it working, and I've also heard of it not working.

If you take three, that will leave one at the rescue on its own looking for a partner anyway. It would probably be easier (for you and for the rabbits) just to take the male/female pair. If one of them dies you'll have to deal with that when it comes. You never know what problems a rabbit's going to have so you cant count on the litter runt dying early and the others living a long time. We had a cat who was never 'right' - she probably only ever had one working kidney and was always tiny, but she managed to live to 18 -longer than her healthy brothers and sisters. One of my rabbits has always had overgrown teeth roots blocking his eye ducts and another was the litter runt and is smaller than his brothers, but they're all happy and healthy at six years old. And then you hear of apparently healthy rabbits just dropping dead.

thanks for your replies, taking 4 is not going to be an option unfortunately, I'm able to have 3 though, I'm not counting on the runt not living long I hope he does just that there's a risk he won't. I think part of the problem is that I've thought I was getting him for the last 6 weeks and when we first saw him he was still similar to the others, I've only found out about the issue with him a few days before I'm due to get him and I'm sort of attached to the idea of having that one, well it's kind of heart over head a bit I guess but I figured should try and get some other opinions on it.

As for the neutering the rescue arranges it to be done at the vet they use when they're old enough, they haven't mentioned that they'd need to be separated though just that the male would be done first and the female a month later?

They will need to be split when the male hormones start to kick in but can't be neutered until they are around 6 months old so you will need to split them for a short time. Also you will need separate accommodation for when they get neutered and need to be split for a while to allow them to heal without ripping each others stitches. Also the male will still be fertile for a few weeks after the op. Do they have older buns at the sanctuary? maybe you are best picking an already bonded pair then you don't have to go through all the fuss.

The problem with the smaller one is that he may not be genetically normal and you never know what that actually means for his anatomy and physiology and whether or not he is a he, or if his bits will drop, or when he will hit puberty, etc.

There is also the chance he could live a long and happy life.

I don't think there would be any sensible way to keep them all together, but potentially they could be kept separate and then be rebonded. I've got a sibling trio and they had to be split and then rebonded. I've got two other sibling pairs and both have had to be separated at different points and then rebonded.

Ok well thanks I'll have a think, I've been trying to get more rescue rabbits for 6 months now and there's been a never ending stream of issues with the rabbits and other delays it's actually quite unbelievable how long it's taken!

I know what you mean you want to get it right so your happy with your buns and they are happy with you. I'm sure you will get some that are just right for you though.

Ok well thanks I'll have a think, I've been trying to get more rescue rabbits for 6 months now and there's been a never ending stream of issues with the rabbits and other delays it's actually quite unbelievable how long it's taken!

It just means you haven't found the right rabbits for your home yet, but if you keep looking, you will find them. :) Good luck.

Back