• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Advice needed from poop people! Loose fecal stools

cpayne

Warren Veteran
The vet thinks Doughnut has coccidiosis and she is on Septrin for another 5 days.

The diarrhea has stopped but she still has a few wet fecal stools every day. Will these just disappear after her antibiotics are finished or should I be worrying. She has lots of normal fecal stools, it's just a few.

I have got a sample pot to give to the vets if it continues so they can test to see if it is coccidiosis. This will cost about £85 to get tested so I don't want to rush back if I don't need to. She's her normal self and her stomach isn't gurgling any more.

Bumping this up for you but perhaps could you tell us what she eats and is she drinking more than usual.

She's on mainly hay and an egg cup of pellets and that's it. She sometimes has a bit of dill or bramble leaves.

There were no splats this morning so hopefully she's turned a corner although last night her tummy was making a noise so I gave her some infracol.

I've ordered some vetcare digestion formula as she does eat quickly so gets gas, these apparently slow the eating time down and help with bloat.

I kow this is a separate issue though, it's because she's got coccidiosis, so just wondered when the splats should disappear altogether.

She's drinking fine.

No she's on science selective. It's not the cecal it's the fecal that's loose.

Thankfully for the last two days I haven't noticed any so hopefully now she's coming to the end of her meds she will be doing normal poops the whole time!

glad shes doing much better. Sounds like this should resolve itself maybe just provide 1/2 a egg cup of pellets a day if it continues and then increase in a few weeks

Back