• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

French Lops are they as good as everyone says?

v12rj

New Kit
On Thursday I lost my beloved Pickles to rainbow bridge. She had tumors in her bowls as was unable to go to the toilet so had to send her on her way. I am totally gutted as she was my baby, a great house bun for 5 years.

We recently rescued a female rabbit from the vets, who is huge. Weights around 4.5 kg and her ears are almost 6 inches long. I am sure that she has french lop in her and she is the kindest most loving rabbit every. Although she has become a "daddys girl".

I need a larger bunny to be her friend. Everything I hear about french lops is that they are lovely animals, very kind, caring and loving. Can anyone confirm this?

I would love to rescue one if possible. I am based in Folkestone, Kent. If anyone knows of any french lops in need locally please let me know.

I am still very upset about my baby and am crying as I post this. I just thought it was stasis but no.

Very much appreciate any advice or help regarding the french lops and what they are like. I have a hole in my heart that needs to be filled and only a bunny will do this for me. I love them.

Many thanks,

Very upset bunny mummy xx

I have Frenchies and can confirm that probably every good thing you've ever heard about them is true. They are a wonderful breed, providing they're well-bred - cuddly, affectionate, attentive, responsive and very much like animated cuddly toys with great character and personality. I've had most breeds over the years but am smitten with both Giants and Frenchies.

thank you very much for that. Don't suppose you know of any local rescues to me in Kent?

My stories are not always happy.
I had a French lop that attacked anything, even my cocker spaniel. The couple I have now are grumpy at times. They have recently been moved to a temporary housing and when I went to feed them and cocker went along, the buck growled.

I have always had French lops and I can honestly say they have always been the greatest of characters. Every bun has a different personality but they all have been playful, curious and affectionate. Good luck in your search :)

Sorry to hear about Pickles also.

I think our Navi is a French Lop but... maybe not. Perhaps. She looks very much like the one on Wikipedia anyway :oops: Anyway, she is a fantastic character. Very, very cheeky and follows you around everywhere. She also has no qualms about nutting you if you're in her way! :love:

Toffee was a cross between a Giant Pappillion and a big french Lop. The lad was a brute sized bun. It took two of us to lift him onto the vets examination couch and his legs would always overhang.

They do not live as long as smaller rabbits - Toffee died from a sudden heart attack as he neared 5 but in the time I had him he was brilliant. I did try him as a house bun first but the papillion side meant he ate everything and I do mean everything. He could also jump over 5 foot with ease. I eneded up having to keep him outside as he devoured my home and thought the toilet upstairs was his water bowl.

He had a huge dog crate with a full sized dog bed for cold nights kept in the kitchen but the rest of the time he spent in his oversize hutch in a shed with an attached run with Tilly and Teasel. He was the only rabbit I could ever trust to free range in my garden and come back when I called. Could you afford the upgrade to large/giant sized rabbit kit? Do you have a large enough garden for a very big rabbit to romp in?
His toys where hefty duty ones able to withstand staffies and he would chew branches he dragged down the garden rather than twigs.

If your thinking of a big or giant bun talk with the rescues near you before you commit, get informed about what they would need and how much physical space you could give. Think of issues like getting to the vets- Toffee had a dog harness and a travel crate as he was way too big to fit in any carrier. I used to walk him into the vets. Check your vet is happy to handle a big bun. A warning nip off toffee would break the skin not because he was nasty but simply down to his size.

Keep an eye on weight with a frnech lop, and watch out for flystrike if you have a french lop with a large dewlap; it makes it a bit harder for them to keep themselves clean than ordinary lops.

If french lop is a bit too big have a look at some of the larger rabbits in rescue who can get overlooked because they are neither small nor giants.

I love my Storm :love: he is a big silly boisterous boy who likes to throw things, dig like a maniac, charge around like a tank and happy flop like a pro :D He loves his food and will get very exited when he hears any packet open or rattle :lol: Storm has always reminded me of a puppy :love:

Of course at over 7 years old he is a little lazier now and has trouble cleaning his bum. I am not sure why as he does not seem to have joint or mobility problems, which are common with frenchies, he is not overly huge ( another common problem with frenchies, they do love their food bless them ) however, a messy bum seems to be his only problem, and frenchis can have a lot of problems ranging from eyes, teeth, heart, joints and shorter life span.

Of course all buns are different but I would definitely be tempted to have more frenchies in the future as I'm totally in love with the breed :love:

My rabbit is a Frenchie and she is full of personality! She goes between eating, snoozing and mischief! The house just wouldn't be the same without her! Even when she makes mess everywhere she never gets in trouble because she just gives us the "who me?" look. I would defo recommend a frenchie :thumb:

July2012157-1.jpg

Thanks guys for all the advice. I have always had smaller rabbits, although Pickles was the biggest dwarf I had ever seen! Having rescued Lilly, who is still a baby and growing I think she needs a large bun to be her friend. Our buns are house buns and are free range most of the time so I don't think space will be an issue. Lilly even takes herself off up stairs, but the silly bun can't get down them!
From reading peoples hutch ideas, we have a huge nic cube cage in the front room, takes up over a third of it! It has different levels as well so plenty to keep them entertained.

A French or large bun is what I will be on the look out for. People get so taken in by the tiny buns in places like the dreaded PAH.

I have two Frenchies. Big balls of energy, they are. My female I got when she was 12 weeks - I absolutely fell in love with her. Very laid back and cuddly. That kind of disappeared when she was spayed and got a boyfriend, lol. She's not much interested in human contact now, which is sad but I know she's happy with her man. She's INCREDIBLY destructive, as is our male. They have a tag team going - he'll dig up the carpets while she gnaws off the wallpaper, haha. So I try to keep a catalog in their crate at all times, they love ripping it up. Our boy is also quite aggressive (except with his lady). They're like puppies, basically. But they're really, really affectionate towards each other and they'll do anything for a head rub, which I think is lovely.

Would recommend! :)

Back