• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Nearly cried - please let this be good news?!!! UD - it is!! WTG, Mulberry!!

Tinsel

Wise Old Thumper
Mulberry is now in Week 6 of nodular myxi, and a major worry has been her failure to gain weight. She's been hovering at 2.16kg for at least a fortnight, (he r normal weight is over 2.5kg) and has sometimes gone down to 2.10. She'd been on septrin for over three weeks and my vet wanted to try taking her off it, mindful of the impact of antibiotics on a bun's digestive system, plus it didn't seem as if she was improving. However once we removed the septrin she started getting slightly snuffly. (She's already also on baytril).

Yesterday morning she had a shot of depocillin, which I'll continue at two day intervals. I also gave her some extra vitamin C in her water this morning, and a little echinacea (having read about both here on RU :thumb:). I don't know what's done the trick, but I just weighted her (after a meal, but I always do that) and she was up to 2.19 kg!!!!!! She was less than 2.13kg this morning, so is that a significant gain, and does it suggest she's finally turning the corner? :wave:

Last edited:
Mulberry is now in Week 6 of nodular myxi, and a major worry has been her failure to gain weight. She's been hovering at 2.16kg for at least a fortnight, (he r normal weight is over 2.5kg) and has sometimes gone down to 2.10. She'd been on septrin for over three weeks and my vet wanted to try taking her off it, mindful of the impact of antibiotics on a bun's digestive system, plus it didn't seem as if she was improving. However once we removed the septrin she started getting slightly snuffly. (She's already also on baytril).

Yesterday morning she had a shot of depocillin, which I'll continue at two day intervals. I also gave her some extra vitamin C in her water this morning, and a little echinacea (having read about both here on RU :thumb:). I don't know what's done the trick, but I just weighted her (after a meal, but I always do that) and she was up to 2.19 kg!!!!!! She was less than 2.13kg this morning, so is that a significant gain, and does it suggest she's finally turning the corner? :wave:

Confused, she weighed 2.13kg THIS morning and 2.19kg a few hours later ??? :? That is likely to be fluid-ie she has a full bladder now.

Best way to monitor weight gain is to weigh Bun every 48 hours :)

Confused, she weighed 2.13kg THIS morning and 2.19kg a few hours later ??? :? That is likely to be fluid-ie she has a full bladder now.

Best way to monitor weight gain is to weigh Bun every 48 hours :)

Yes, both weights are on the same day....

I guess what I'm going by is that over a two week period of being weighed twice daily at similar times she's never been more than 2.16kg, so in that context could this be significant? :wave:

Yes, both weights are on the same day....

I guess what I'm going by is that over a two week period of being weighed twice daily at similar times she's never been more than 2.16kg, so in that context could this be significant? :wave:

If it is maintained tomorrow then hopefully it is a good sign.

She is now 2.195kg!!!!!! Highest her weight has been since she's been ill!!!!

*does air punch!!!* :wave:

Thanks to all :wave:

Normally her weight dips overnight but this morning it's stayed up at 2.18 - again, a (morning) record. She also did a footstamp inbetween breakfast courses.....:shock:

It is best to weigh at exactly the same time of day, and every 2-3 days. I have been weighing my buns as two need to lose a bit, but my dental bun has to maintain his. Even in healthy buns, weight can fluctuate by up to 50g during the day.

I calculate mine as percentage body weight.. and a fluctuation of 1-2% is normal. So if Mulberry was 2.5 kg at a healthy weight (and not over weight) then normal fluctuation should be 2.450-2.550kg

At 2.160kg , I would expect fluctuation between 2.117kg and 2.203kg...if her weight goes above 2.2kg and continues to rise, then I would see that as significant.

Are you giving her unlimited pellets?

It is best to weigh at exactly the same time of day, and every 2-3 days. I have been weighing my buns as two need to lose a bit, but my dental bun has to maintain his. Even in healthy buns, weight can fluctuate by up to 50g during the day.

I calculate mine as percentage body weight.. and a fluctuation of 1-2% is normal. So if Mulberry was 2.5 kg at a healthy weight (and not over weight) then normal fluctuation should be 2.450-2.550kg

At 2.160kg , I would expect fluctuation between 2.117kg and 2.203kg...if her weight goes above 2.2kg and continues to rise, then I would see that as significant.

Are you giving her unlimited pellets?

Thank you. I have been weighing her about three times a day at the same times. Her overall pattern has been 2/3 weeks on same weight (has been battling nodular myxi/respiratory infection and tapeworms! :() so this sudden increase which has now been sustained for 2/3 days does feel encouraging. I think in the past she's been over 2.48, even up to 2.6 or possibly more, so her weight is still definitely on the low side at present. Fingers crossed for it to be over 2.2 in the next couple of days, then - thank you so much for your calculations; they're really helpful. :wave:

ETA She has unlimited pellets for much of the day but am trying to keep her with her partner as much as possible. She's usually put with him once she's had a big meal though.

Thanks Sally, too! :wave:

Back