• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Post-Op Advise - multiple problems

jamestday

New Kit
Our bunny Harry stopped eating right last Monday- off to vet, discovered that his bladder had herniated and was full of calcium. Went to Surgery center in Columbus OH up from our house. They said they could flush the bladder and replace bladder. Well while getting him ready for Surgery, he kicked and broke his leg! They did the bladder surgery, which turned out better than expected, put in pins in leg and set. Next day foot on broken leg went lip. Vets, said that his tendon had likely ruptured?

We are of course very upset, but he is home now. We are hoping the joint will 'scar' down and the break heal. He is actually doing much better than we feared. He is eating, drinking, pooping, moving around and even sitting as well as we can expect. His foot sets out to the side a bit and the Vet is having us work to keep it in as normal a position as possible during recover - 6 to 8 weeks. Vet thinks that an underlying Collagen Deficiency affecting his connective tissues. Here is why - first the ligament rupture, eye legions which he as had for a long time, also his bladder had herniated through the inguinal ring which our surgeon said was very abnormal and the fracture. I've done some research and there is some indications that these could be related and caused by some sort of connective tissue disorders but frankly I wonder if this just might be to cover something happening that should not have happened? My problem is that when he went in for the surgery for the bladder he had shown no signs of leg problems, had just been seen by our regular Vet where he kicked some, but otherwise had not leg issues.

My specific questions:

Anyone every heard of anything like this? Collagen Deficiency in Rabbits? Connective tissue disorders in Rabbits? Legs getting broken during prep for surgical procedures?

Any advise on post operative care for the leg - break or tendon? The Bladder actually seems to be working great and is not the least of our problems.

I've notice that his foot on the broken leg is already showing a spot where the fur is thinning - putting more weight in that area where it's not normal. I'm concerned long term he may have sore hock issues? Any advise.

Any idea on a soft floor material, to help w/ the possible sore hock, that will let urine pass through? We have him on plastic "Magic Mats" and they work well, but I would like something softer. Don't want to use something that will trip him up or hold urine against feet or near surgical incisions right now.

Sorry for the long post, it's been a few hard days for us and Harry, but he is a trooper. Please keep him in your prays and thanks in advance for any ideas or suggestions.

Poor Harvey!!! And welcome by the way :wave: You are obviously very caring owners.
I'm sorry I can't help with the medical side of things but I'm sure some of our more experienced members will be along soon. There are a few members with buns who have had or have broken legs. I think your best option for Harvey to lie on will be Vetbed especially good for sore hock buns.
Glad to hear the bladder issue is looking ok
Sending lots of vibes for a speedy recovery for your little guy :wave:

Back