• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How do your dogs get on with your small furries?

youthnovels

Wise Old Thumper
We've had Toby since he teeny tiny, he was a lot smaller than the rabbits and even the guinea pigs when we first got him! As a result non of the rabbits are bothered by him. At feeding time he tries to jump in the hutch with them and they groom him :love: He also tries to climb in the guinea pig cage, non of them are bothered by him at all.

Does anyone elses dogs get on really well with their fur babies or is Toby just one big softie?

Both of my dogs are small, and they and the rabbits just ignore each other. As a puppy Sabre tried to chase but we told him "no" and he soon stopped. He's four now and hasn't tried chasing in over two years.

My twelve year-old yorkie with four teeth has never even tried chasing, for some reason... :?

I have 2 young staffs, they get on fine with the 3 cats, 30odd rabbits and chicken,
The all intermingle and get on.

One of my buns run at the dogs, but they just walk away

I have 3 dogs and 10 rabbits ranging from 1kg to 7kg - they all mingle with each other. The rabbits are completely unfazed by the dogs, and the dogs are mostly uninterested in the rabbits, apart from Spike who loves Ra, and Ra loves Spike.

All three of my dogs are rescues, so I had none of them from puppies, but they are all companion breeds so are quite calm, sociable dogs who love everybody and everything (apart from the pigeon who sots on the fence!)

my old dog was a medium/large sized dog who came to us as an adult a good few years before the rabbits and he was fine with them. He would occasionally chase a chicken but never did anything if he caught them, he just liked to watch them flap and make noise :oops:

The foster dogs have all been taught to ignore the rabbits with a little training, and my brother's pup is very interested in them but wouldn't do them any harm.

My border collie Lily is amazing with my animals, she is just the most gentle dog in the world. My pets do not bat an eyelid when she is out with them. Derek is much more curious and just wants to be their friend but I have to watch him as he gets a bit excited.

My dog adores my rabbits. I have never seen any of them ever show nervousness or fear. They play with her. My previous giant used to run up to her , binky , side skid in her face, turn and bolt off while she stood wagging her tail, whining excitedly but she knew not to chase so wouldn't !

my nan's yorkie been brought up with my rabbits so is great with them, won't let my sisters dog near them as he nearly got sox during the summer ifeared for the worst shouting sox as he ran which made dog chase after him, whereas mabel stayed still, luckily i got to him to scoop him up and calm him down, i put myself between the dog and sox to save my best friend, we where at nans and dog was on lead and grandad lost grip and thats when he went for them

my nans yorkie now old and slow realised what had happened and went to see if mabel was ok

My Cocker Spaniel just likes to eat their food and stuff :roll:

If the rabbits are in the garden with the dog she is usually fine with them and the rabbits fine with her. Lady will usually sit with me. But Lady can get excited and chase them though. But she doesn't do anything agressive, it's more playful. And she barks and gets annoyed if the rabbits ignore her and don't play. But the rabbits are fine with her and don't bat an eye lid at anything

AWWWW! I was hoping to see some pics in this thread, come on RU.

I have a GSD, I would not trust her in the same area with the buns. However, she loves to sit and watch them and when the little one binkies she runs up and down the side of the enclosure with her. Pippa never runs away from Angel. its like they are playing together through the wire. Other than that, she just sits and watches them but not in a 'I want to eat you way', more in a way, of, 'your so cute I love you' way

AWWWW! I was hoping to see some pics in this thread, come on RU.

I have a GSD, I would not trust her in the same area with the buns. However, she loves to sit and watch them and when the little one binkies she runs up and down the side of the enclosure with her. Pippa never runs away from Angel. its like they are playing together through the wire. Other than that, she just sits and watches them but not in a 'I want to eat you way', more in a way, of, 'your so cute I love you' way

Here is a piccie of Lily with my hamster

medium.jpg

My four year old rescue Yorkie, Jenna, is an absolute lamb with my three bunnies and two of my three cats. The third cat, a former feral, scares the heck out of her and unfortunately likes to come on walks with us. Jenna will do her business as long as she doesn't spot Kitty nearby...otherwise she's trying to climb up my leg to get away from her. :roll:

I think the woman who ran the rescue took her into her cat enclosure and let them beat up on her. :( She gives ground to all my cats far too easily except for my baby tom whom she adores and always tries to slurp his face.

Fiver can hop right up to her even while she's trying to sleep and give her a sniff and she'll just freeze, giving me the eye...she really doesn't seem bothered by him but looks to me for assurance. They'll both be out on the bed together and she'll just pick up and move if he gets inquisitive. He quickly loses interest and finds one of my plushies to groom.

Mimzy has been ill half the year now and all she's ever done while I pay so much attention to him is peer over his enclosure from her napping perch with almost a look of concern. She has never messed with him, even before he got tilt and would be out nearby for a romp.

Pip is my diva so I would guess she'd not brook any nonsense from the dog. She's already told the cats where to go.

However, our newest addition, Ebon, is not trustworthy around the wee furries. She'll chase a leaf blowing down the street and shred it when she gets it. It's not a vicious thing, she's just rambunctious. But she will never be in contact with the bunnies. Just too great a risk.

Our rabbits are fearful of the dogs so they aren't allowed in the same space. One of our dogs would be nice to the rabbits we think as he spent a ehile trying to get a sick wild rabbit to play with him once. Not sure what Sansa would do with a rabbit. Dusty used yo play with our rats and it felt like they deliberately terrorized him at times. We've photos of rats grabbing his lips when he's been yawning or licking his nose. He usually tried to nuzzle them with his head but never opened his mouth to them. The rats we havd now are young and very bouncey and he's very old now so they don't gst to play with him any more.

sorry for the spelling am on my phone.

My dogs have accidently got in contact with Joey once and they licked him to death he was soaked! But through bars my dog Jess likes to watch him and Spike ignores him, they both Ignore elvis completely will go over and say hi then leave him alone, he was here before them!

I have two lurchers...both adopted.

Millie was adopted at 12 weeks old and we already had buns...I wouldnt ever leave her unattended with them EVER but she doesnt really pay them any notice at all :thumb:

Ziggy was adopted at 18 months-2 years and pays even less notice to them than Millie :thumb:

Both live happily with a house bun and 6 outdoor buns! :love:

Nutmeg used to live at a house with a small dog, like a Jack Russell type dog. I think that might have something to do with her sometimes nervous and aggressive behaviour.

when you say "stuff" do you, by any chance, mean poo? Because every dog that's been in my garden has hunted out and eaten the rabbit poo :lol:

Yes mainly :lol: but she will also destroy their wooden toys and eat/rip up the hay :roll: can't let her near the hutch when the door is open

Back