• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Putting hutch in the run -opinions?

nessar

Warren Veteran
Been trying to make steps from my hutch to the run (it sits on top) forever, but its a nightmare as my DIY skills are NIL and it involves modifying the hutch too. A ramp would cause similar issues, as to have a shallow ramp I'd have to widen the hole in the hutch floor.

So now I'm thinking of just putting the hutch inside the run, propped up off the floor an inch or two with either a brick or a piece of wood at each corner. Then I'll make a run panel to cover up the part where the hutch was sitting. It will mean less space (48sqft), but also 24 hour access to that space.

Just wanted to check on here first before I go ahead buying stuff - does anyone see any issues/problems with this plan?

It sounds good, but if you wanted to keep the full run space, would you have room to:

A) have the hutch outside the run on one end? So that you would butt the door side of the hutch up against the run and remove the end panel from the run (could put it on top instead to fill that gap?)

B) have the hutch outside the run separate but attached to the run with a runaround tunnel or something? This would be a more expensive option, but woud mean your access to the hutch would be easier than A above because you wouodn't need to get inside the run to clean out etc.

It sounds good, but if you wanted to keep the full run space, would you have room to:

A) have the hutch outside the run on one end? So that you would butt the door side of the hutch up against the run and remove the end panel from the run (could put it on top instead to fill that gap?)

B) have the hutch outside the run separate but attached to the run with a runaround tunnel or something? This would be a more expensive option, but woud mean your access to the hutch would be easier than A above because you wouodn't need to get inside the run to clean out etc.

What I was going to say:D

The main reason I have a shed of or mine now is because of the difficult access to the hutch. The hutch was attached to the front of the run and a bloody nightmare. A runaround tube would have been a much easier solution but the doors on my hutch were swollen and a pain to open and close :lol:

B) have the hutch outside the run separate but attached to the run with a runaround tunnel or something? This would be a more expensive option, but woud mean your access to the hutch would be easier than A above because you wouldn't need to get inside the run to clean out etc.

I've thought about both, but I don't really want to take up any more garden space than I am currently (8x6), as it is a big area and not my own garden. The runaround tube would also really stretch my DIY skills, I'd be worried I'd mess up the whole hutch!

It is going to a be a right pain getting in the run every time I need to clean them out or give them hay, especially in the rain as I'll have to remove all the tarpaulin etc, but I'm hoping it will mean they get more exercise and are a bit warmer in winter. Currently, you see, they have chosen the bed area for their litter tray, so the 'bed' is always damp and needs completely replacing daily, but they dont seem to wee (or not much) in other boxes with hay in, so I am hoping that they will have a warmer bed if they have 24 hour access to the run where there will be a cosy box, as well as their hutch.

I hope that makes sense! :lol:

I've thought about both, but I don't really want to take up any more garden space than I am currently (8x6), as it is a big area and not my own garden. The runaround tube would also really stretch my DIY skills, I'd be worried I'd mess up the whole hutch!

It is going to a be a right pain getting in the run every time I need to clean them out or give them hay, especially in the rain as I'll have to remove all the tarpaulin etc, but I'm hoping it will mean they get more exercise and are a bit warmer in winter. Currently, you see, they have chosen the bed area for their litter tray, so the 'bed' is always damp and needs completely replacing daily, but they dont seem to wee (or not much) in other boxes with hay in, so I am hoping that they will have a warmer bed if they have 24 hour access to the run where there will be a cosy box, as well as their hutch.

I hope that makes sense! :lol:

Yep, that makes perfect sense :)

Have you tried putting boxes under the hole in the hutch instead of the ramp? (I think one of your buns was having trouble with the ramp and that was why you wanted to adapt the ramp, but sorry if I remembered wrongly). or could you staple rubber stuff onto the ramp? I did this with my buns' ramp. I got a little roll of that stuff that you put under rugs to stop them slipping (kind of meshy rubber stuff...you can get it in homebase), and staple gunned it onto the ramp, and they are up and down with no probs now.

One more idea would be to try your idea, but have the hutch facing outwards so you can get to the doors, but then you would either need to runaround tube from a mesh door to the run, or cut a hole in the back of the hutch to let them out (and I totally understand your worry about ruining the hutch by doing this! I was so nervous of doing this in my playhouse that I had to get OH to cut the hole for me :oops:).

But I'm sure you have exhausted all the possibilities, so I think your idea does sound like a good one, and they will still have plenty of space.

Yep, that makes perfect sense :)

Have you tried putting boxes under the hole in the hutch instead of the ramp? (I think one of your buns was having trouble with the ramp and that was why you wanted to adapt the ramp, but sorry if I remembered wrongly). or could you staple rubber stuff onto the ramp? I did this with my buns' ramp. I got a little roll of that stuff that you put under rugs to stop them slipping (kind of meshy rubber stuff...you can get it in homebase), and staple gunned it onto the ramp, and they are up and down with no probs now.

One more idea would be to try your idea, but have the hutch facing outwards so you can get to the doors, but then you would either need to runaround tube from a mesh door to the run, or cut a hole in the back of the hutch to let them out (and I totally understand your worry about ruining the hutch by doing this! I was so nervous of doing this in my playhouse that I had to get OH to cut the hole for me :oops:).

But I'm sure you have exhausted all the possibilities, so I think your idea does sound like a good one, and they will still have plenty of space.

Yep that was the problem. Since then he did learn to go up (in a scrabbling and dangerous fashion!) but wouldnt come back down. So within half hour of putting him in the run he'd be up the ramp, and then stuck there till I got home from work (by which point it was dark anyway so he had to stay in the hutch!) so he never got any real run-time. He tried to come down a couple of times but actually fell, so in the end I just took the ramp away, it was too dangerous and he never got any time out of the hutch. As well as being too steep, it was too narrow for a bun of his size.

Boxes would be an idea for my other bun, but Barney is just so clumsy, and he is cautious of jumping down from things too. Jumping up and down from things he often misses his target a little and slips about. I think it is his eyesight, it isn't very good.

http://www.wayfair.co.uk/Petmate-Pe...K321-LPA1054&gclid=CO7fvJCStbMCFSTLtAodPBoAhg

I'm not entirely sure but would anything like this help?

I adopted two bunnies who just wouldn't jump up onto things so I bought them this and after a few days they worked out how to go up and down. They use it all the time even though they are capable of jumping the height in one go.

It is quite lightweight plastic and has a hole underneath that they like to go into too.

The material on the step itself is a felt type so non slip too.

http://www.wayfair.co.uk/Petmate-Pe...K321-LPA1054&gclid=CO7fvJCStbMCFSTLtAodPBoAhg

I'm not entirely sure but would anything like this help?

I adopted two bunnies who just wouldn't jump up onto things so I bought them this and after a few days they worked out how to go up and down. They use it all the time even though they are capable of jumping the height in one go.

It is quite lightweight plastic and has a hole underneath that they like to go into too.

The material on the step itself is a felt type so non slip too.

That would be perfect if it was big enough! Unfortunately it needs to go up 2ft 4 to get to the hutch. eta-I guess I could make a platform for it, but it would have to be fixed down - the buns love to move stuff about.

Last edited:
Back