• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Mulberry - update & query re depocillin. Pic added (may be distressing/myxi symptoms)

Tinsel

Wise Old Thumper
Mulberry - update & query re depocillin. Pic added (may be distressing/myxi symptoms)

Following on from this thread

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?363157-Myxi-question-re-swollen-eyelids

I took Mulberry to the vet, and thankfully her eye itself is fine. There's a lump near it which either means one of her myxi nodules is blocking the tear duct, or that the tear duct itself is slightly infected. She's not well enough to get it flushed and the vet doesn't think that would work anyway. She's stayed on baytril/fucithalmic and we hope that as the nodules subside it will improve. It doesn't seem painful.

Meanwhile coming off the septrin has worsened things on the respiratory front, so she's now had a depocillin injection. (She'd been on septrin for well over three weeks). Any clues as to how fast this may work? The vet said it may be a week, but I'm hoping it's sooner. Poor Mulberry :( Any spare vibes would be appreciated. Here's a pic of my poorly girl...

Picture259.jpg

She will need more than a one off injection. In severe RTIs I have had Rabbits on it daily for a few days reducing to every 48 hours. I would be astounded if a one off dose gives any benefit at all :?

Lots of healing (((Vibes))) for Mulberry

Thank you! :wave:

She will need more than a one off injection. In severe RTIs I have had Rabbits on it daily for a few days reducing to every 48 hours. I would be astounded if a one off dose gives any benefit at all :?

Thanks Jane - oops - sorry - should have clarified - she had an injection today and will have them every other day too for the foreseeable future. :wave:

Thanks Jane - oops - sorry - should have clarified - she had an injection today and will have them every other day too for the foreseeable future. :wave:

Hopefully you will see some improvement after about 3-4 doses. Are you giving a mucolytic such as Bisolvon ? Thinning out the mucus secretions will help. As would nebulising, if she would tolerate it.

Hopefully you will see some improvement after about 3-4 doses. Are you giving a mucolytic such as Bisolvon ? Thinning out the mucus secretions will help. As would nebulising, if she would tolerate it.

She isn't very snuffly at all and seems to be producing very little secretion-wise, thankfully, but will bear that in mind if it worsens. :?

Is it on her lungs then ?

Not at the moment; at least she didn't say so. She seems a bit more snuffly than previously but I think my vet is looking to prevent full-blown snuffles rather than letting her deteriorate to that point and then treating it, if that makes sense. The nodules on her nose don't help her breathing either. :(

I agree about three to four days with the injections. I hope they help.
Nebulising saline solution might just help shift anything that is in her airways.

Back