• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Vet bed?

ickle bunny

Young Bun
Is vet bed safe for buns?? I know it is safe for guinea pigs though! Has anyone used it?? And if so is it any good?

Thanks Jen xxx :wave:

i use it whenever anybun is ill or if i think i can afford it. i haven't seen any ill effects and they seem not to nibble it the way they sometimes do with other things.

Yes I was wondering if a piece in their bedroom in the shed with a snugglesafe would be better than stuff it with straw?
Any thoughts?

Vet beds are great, I use mine in the hutch, It washes well and drys really quickly, i managed to get mine from a small local pet supplies that were selling cut offs :D, my rabbits love it.

Yes I was wondering if a piece in their bedroom in the shed with a snugglesafe would be better than stuff it with straw?
Any thoughts?

I don't think so. Vet bed is lovely and warm, but it will only keep the parts of the bun in contact with it warm. It would be a bit like you having the option of sleeping on a lovely plush carpet, or completely wrapped up in a duvet. When it's cold, you'd want the duvet! If you've got a part of the hutch or a box in it stuffed with straw and hay, bunnies can snuggle down right into it, air will get trapped in the straw and it will stay warm all around them rather than just underneath like it would with vetbed. There's no reason why you couldn't use it in one area, but outdoor bunnies still need somewhere they can get right inside to keep warm.

I don't think so. Vet bed is lovely and warm, but it will only keep the parts of the bun in contact with it warm. It would be a bit like you having the option of sleeping on a lovely plush carpet, or completely wrapped up in a duvet. When it's cold, you'd want the duvet! If you've got a part of the hutch or a box in it stuffed with straw and hay, bunnies can snuggle down right into it, air will get trapped in the straw and it will stay warm all around them rather than just underneath like it would with vetbed. There's no reason why you couldn't use it in one area, but outdoor bunnies still need somewhere they can get right inside to keep warm.

I agree, I use my vet bed outside the bed area so when they come in from their run it will help them dry their feet :D, I fill the bed area with straw and when it's really cold with a snuggle safe aswell.

Thanks I think when my bun gets his new shed I will put lino down then some vet bed on parts of the cold floor!! :D

Jen xxx :wave:

Thanks. Their bedroom is now lined with paper and stuffed with straw.

Back