• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How have you prepared for WINTER?

TeflonsShadow

Wise Old Thumper
What have you done to prepare for Winter??

I've:

> Moved the bun house next to the house and secured everything.... to prevent drafts

> Ordered more vet bed as this is their flooring of choice

> Got plenty of food - 10kg of SS and 15 of Chudleys rabbit royale, as well as plenty of hay so I wont be affected if I cant reach a store

> Installed a heat lamp

Am considering other forms of Winter protection - like covers for the wendy house and/or run..... any suggestions guys?

This is one of the main reasons I love having house buns. I've shut the windows and turned the heating on!

However you sound pretty prepared!

When we used to have piggies outside when I was a kid (they were in a sheltered area, the end of a car port, so almost like a shed but open at one end) we used the thick silver bubble wrap that you buy to insulate lofts. We cut pieces to size and stapled it around the cage as insulation. We even made a flap to go down over the front of the cage on the extra cold nights although it just flapped down loosely so that it didn't obstruct airflow that much. Maybe something similar would work on the inside of a Wendy house?

I have also seen people attach sheets of wood to the most exposed end of runs to act as a windbreak. They don't need to be particularly high, just enough to give a bunny a bit more protection from cold winds.

Last edited:
We don't have central heaters.... just gas heaters, which I wouldn't dream of leaving on if I wasn't here..... they have sooooo much more space out there, and better heating than we do! I havent used the heater yet ... we tend to hide under blankets instead as its free!!! :p

I was being good and only having it on for 1hr morning and evening. It's been so cold this last week that that has gone up a bit!!!

I'm just giving them a bit extra hay, they have their winter coats and an insulated shed and have been fine with that for the last 3 years.

The thread title makes me think of "Winter is coming" :lol:
Winter sure sounds like a lot of work, I'm glad it isn't coming here

We have been preparing for winter over the last few weeks as its got much much colder/wetter here!

~Hubby is busy making the shutters for the avaries and run
~Im stocking up on food/hay/readigrass
~I will ask the farmer to delivery three more bales of hay before I actually need it so that I have an overstock incase it gets snowy and he wont come out
~Iv bought plenty of large fleece blankets to cover the floor and shelves of the sheds
~Snuggle pads are at the ready

I think thats it :thumb: Plenty of hay and food will see them right :love:

foraging like mad and trying to get it dried and stored - literally cant afford another winter with snow on the ground for any time - was spending a fortune on green stuff for buns - not funny with 36 of them . . . Their systems are used to having about a rabbit sized heap of green forage per bun per day - more in winter -

foraging like mad and trying to get it dried and stored - literally cant afford another winter with snow on the ground for any time - was spending a fortune on green stuff for buns - not funny with 36 of them . . . Their systems are used to having about a rabbit sized heap of green forage per bun per day - more in winter -

Oh my gosh...I would love to see feeding time at your bunnery :love: where and how do you dry/store it all?? :shock:

Back