• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit ate chocolate!!

Misty's Mummy

Warren Scout
My darling 1 year old nephew decided to give Misty some of his chocolate biscuit today. I hadnt noticed he had dropped the biscuit in her cage until i seen her eating something brown. I thought it was maybe poo she was eating and when i checked her cage, there was the biscuit (wagon wheel) and i dunno if she ate the chocolate or ate poo.

Will she be ok? She seems fine, and poos are ok and shes eating and binkying

Rabbits dont eat their poo, they eat special poos called caceotrophs, that are different in appearance and function.

She should be okay, just keep an eye on her, and I'd probably restrict her to a hay-only diet for about 12 hours or so, as long as she is a good hay eater, to help push it all through.

I doubt that amount of chocolate is enough to harm her, especially as I believe wagon wheels arent coated with chocolate but with chocolate flavoured stuff? Of course it also depends on her size and age and how delicate her tummy is.

The risk with chocolate is fitting/heart attacks - so keep stress and excitement to a minimum, noise non-existant and lights low or off, as a precaution. The other risk is an upset stomach - if you see true diorrhea that is an emergency and you should be straight to the vets, but otherwise she should be fine.

just to add, went and looked for the thread, when my boy ate chocolate the vet said that the non-toxic limit was 15g of dark chocolate per kg of bunny (not super dark stuff like G&B, normal dark choc).
So you should be okay as long as no upset tummies.

Last edited:
My rabbit Joey actually does eat his normal poo, not the other things he is supposed to, just regular big old golden brown droppings I've seen him do it plenty of times lol so he could as well just been eating some poop!

Back