• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

lionhead owners, help!

Ellie-Rose

Young Bun
Hello all:)

I was just curious of how you keep your lionheads fur tamed, do you keep it short? trim it regularly? or just brush it everyday?

I don't have to brush my Herbie too much, but when I do....ooft there is a lot of fur!!

Inca (his bunny sister) helps by grooming him :)

Nothing really, just keep an eye in case s/he (I have a boy and a girl) are not able to maintain it and then help them with brushing, trimming or whatever. So I guess I do what's needed when it's needed because I don't need to do anything to keep it in good condition.

I brush Harley about twice a week - she hates it but it has to be done. Any knots that I can't comb out easily, get cut off.

I have the same sort of hair as Harley - very fine and knots easily so we share a de-knotting comb that you can get from Boots...works better than the bunny brush :D

Brush night tonight - followed by thumps, squeals and sulks :(

Moses is easy. I don't have to brush him often but I do have to check the area around his bum as he tends to get knots there which I just cut away as there is no way I could brush it back to normal.

I do cut is manes once in a while as they get very long and get in his eyes.

I brush Harley about twice a week - she hates it but it has to be done. Any knots that I can't comb out easily, get cut off.

I have the same sort of hair as Harley - very fine and knots easily so we share a de-knotting comb that you can get from Boots...works better than the bunny brush :D

Brush night tonight - followed by thumps, squeals and sulks :(

Martin adores the brush, it doesn't seem to bother him:) he does occasionally like to throw it about though:lol:
Thank you for the advice!:)

Imogen has her cheek fur trimmed as her poor eyesight means she gets soggy but other than that I don't do anything! This summer she barely moulted, my nethie dwarf moulted MUCH more than she did. I brushed her once a week just incase :)

I have a double maned lionhead, and have to brush her every other day, I get so much hair from her its unreal! And i do keep it trimmed because when I didnt she started to get quite matted and I just had to cut them out anyway!

I give mine a comb twice a week to keep on top of them and any knots (i have two albinos whose fur seems much finer and prone to knots) get teased out or cut if they're beginning to get restless :)
Those two (Bo and Blakey) also have very furry noses and fringes so every couple of months they get a haircut round their faces as they look like stroppy teenagers with hair in their eyes otherwise ... I'm not very good at styling so they tend to look horrific until it starts growing out again, but at least they can see which is the main thing :D
I just use an ordinary man's comb and an anti-static brush on mine, bigger knots I tease by hand until they can comb out.

I don't do anything with Nutmeg other than if she gets knots in her mane. Smudge I give a brush when he's moulting.

Back