• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunny is a 'he' not a 'she' :/

Hi there,

Just really wanted some advice on this please...

We took what we thought was our female rabbit to the vet yesterday for a myxy jab ('she' is 16wks old, but a house rabbit, so there wasn't really a rush) and found out that 'she' was a boy!

We aleady have a 21wk old male, who we were/still are going to get neutered when he's 6 months old, then the idea was to put them together 6 weeks later (as bf and gf, as it were! lol)

We got 'her' from a private seller, who had 30+ rabbits, so assumed she was reputable. Obviously, I'm getting straight on the phone to her today because I'm fuming.

But I suppose my real question is, when they are finally both neutered, I understand there is still a possibility that they probably won't get along, but would maybe getting one or two does help at all?

There's no way I'd get rid of either one tho, obvs! :D

Edit: They have never been out together, and always in seperate cages at all times, as we didn't want kits. That would be the impossible tho now I guess...:lol:

Thanks guys xx

Last edited:
They might get on, two males are a trickier bond but it is possible. If I were you I would not get anymore rabbits until you know for sure if you boys will bond or not, especially not from the same place! Sadly having lots of rabbits does not make a breeder reputable.

It might be an idea to have a look round for local people who could help you bond your buns. A lot of rescues will help, sometimes just being somewhere totally neutral will help and also someone who has bonded lots of times before will be confident enough (hopefully) to make a trickier bond more likely.

Their personalities determine if they get on much more than their sex. When I tried to bond my four, two boys, to girls, the boys were the easier bond ever. They immediately liked each other.

I love doing male/male bonds I find them easier than female/male bonds.
At least you won't have to wait so long to get them together now.
Neutered at 4 months once those testicles are down, couple of weeks recovery and then bond. :D

Happy owners + happy rabbits = win win situation

Thank you SOOOOOOO much for all your help! I was so worried that they would fight. I know they still may, but from your feedback, I'm not so worried anymore :)

I suppose I'll just have to wait until they are neutered and find out then. The funny thing is, the one we thought was a girl has a pink cage :lol: :lol:

Also, the older one (who we always knew was a boy) alway gets his 'thing' out and squirts like sperm everywhere when he is around the 'girl's' cage. He also grunts and thumps. We thought this was just because he was horny, but is it just a dominance thing?

And for Hele: I was only thinking of getting a female when they are both fully neutered if they didn't get on, but thank you so much for your reply :D

Thank you all xx

I have had two boys before - they were given to rescue because 'kids got bored'. They lived together and weren't neutered! But were ok - just a LOT of humping (I remember my OH coming in and being HORRIFED - telling me we had to seperate them immediately :roll: he didn't understand that it was a dominance thing -now he knows - as our girls still do it!)

He is spraying, so yes, sounds like he's marking his territory!

I really don't think a rabbits sex has anything to do with wether they get on. The closest bonds I have ever seen have been between 2 boys. Whenever I have a problem with a group it always seems to be a female causing the problem!

You have as much chance of them bonding once neutered as you would have done if one of them was a girl.

Good luck!

LOL it's not sperm he's spraying (thank god! That just would be yuck) but pee. Neutering will stop or reduce that.

Good luck on getting them both neutered and bonded!

Back