• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

U/D Friday. Babydarling has to have a tear duct flush

Barn Yard Bunnies

Staff member
He was absolutely fine this afternoon. Was on my way to bed and he was begging for blueberries. I noticed one of his eyes completely shut. He is still fine in himself but I know from early last year it doesn't take long to go down hill. Vets first thing, I have to convince OH to take the time off work. Which he probably won't as they found out there is going to be a major restructuring and he will feel if he takes time off he will lose his job.

The exotic vets is so far away. I will pay for a cab if I have to. Why does everything go wrong at the same time. Been worrying about Mr Bennett but he seems fine now. :(

Last edited:
Oh no, that's awful. You went through so much last year with him, I hope this is an easier issue to cure.

Back from the vets. Unfortunately it is the same problem as last year. Babydarling eyelid is inflammed and crusty and the vet could see pus under the eyelid. :( It came up so quickly.

Fortunately he said we have caught it in time by bringing him in immediately. His weight is really good. Gone from 4.90 grams last August to 5.78 grams today. Because I noticed straight away Babydarling is still fine in himself. There would be pain though, so he is on painkillers and has had his first dose. He has 2 types of eye drops, one is an abx and the other anti inflammatory and oral abx.

Left the chins in the pet carrier when I got home and really scrubbed out their hutch/aviary. They won't be able to have a sand bath for at least a week.

Hopefully all the meds will work, otherwise he will have to have another tear duct flush.

Arrived at the vets at 8.15 but waited outside until 8.30. Thankfully no other people were there and the vet arrived early at 8.40, and saw us straight away, which meant James could drive me home with the chins.

Poor wee guy, what a shame. Can't believe you are fighting this horrible infection again.:cry:

Unfortunately Babydarling is going to be prone to this for the rest of his life. The vet said his tear duct is scarred so doesn't flush through properly. But his overall health and teeth are good. Poor boy, his eye closed up within hours. He was fine at 8 when we got back from shopping last night. By the time I went to bed over 4 hours later his eye had shut and you could see the puffiness.

Hopefully the abx will get on top of the infection quickly and he will feel much better. Are Chins prone to eye problems ? I dont know anything about Chins at all.

Hopefully the abx will get on top of the infection quickly and he will feel much better. Are Chins prone to eye problems ? I dont know anything about Chins at all.

It makes his fur all sticky around his eye from the meds. He hates it and rubs his eye on the shelves and floor, poor boy.:( But hopefully it will heal more quickly than last time.

I actually don't know if chinchillas are prone to eye problems. Kat has never had an eye problem. Although Little Nylon had an eye ulcer years ago. The vet did say it was a scratch across the eye ball and thankfully it was easily treated.

Chins are prone to many of the same problems as rabbits, like statis and dental problems. Thankfully we have not had any problems with teeth or their stomach.

Hope he is soon feeling back to his normal self xxx

Thanks Sally.

Megavibes for Babydarling! :love:
Poor little guy. I hope the meds will work quickly and that he'll recover soon. ((((((Hugs))))))))

Loads of vibes!

Chinchillas are very similar to rabbits inside.
I wonder if there's anything the vets can let you keep at home and administer to him when the problem shows up. Such as sealed eye drops and antibiotics that won't perish? That way you can just ring them up and inform them without rushing him off if he's prone to it.

Snake chinchilla has malformed teeth which make her eye run, just like with rabbits. It gets infected sometimes so the vets gave me some eye drops which I keep sealed and use when she gets an infection.

Sorry to hear Babydarling has been poorly again Amanda. So glad you were able to get him seen so promptly, I hope he gets back to his normal self in no time. Sounds like it must be so uncomfortable for him, bless him. Sending vibes!

Loads of vibes!

Chinchillas are very similar to rabbits inside.
I wonder if there's anything the vets can let you keep at home and administer to him when the problem shows up. Such as sealed eye drops and antibiotics that won't perish? That way you can just ring them up and inform them without rushing him off if he's prone to it.H

Snake chinchilla has malformed teeth which make her eye run, just like with rabbits. It gets infected sometimes so the vets gave me some eye drops which I keep sealed and use when she gets an infection.

Good idea, didn't think about keeping extra meds. I have bunny pain killer to hand that was never opened but then again, I wouldn't know if it was appropriate to give.

Sorry to hear Babydarling has been poorly again Amanda. So glad you were able to get him seen so promptly, I hope he gets back to his normal self in no time. Sounds like it must be so uncomfortable for him, bless him. Sending vibes!

He is awake now, eye still mainly closed but he is running around and begged for a blueberry. Which I have to cut back on.:oops:

Sending lots of vibes for him. I don't know much about chinchillas, but think they are very sweet indeed. :love:

Back