• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Baby almost froze to death!!! UPDATE! 01/11

DomaNikki

Mama Doe
Hi everyone

Ok my Missy gave birth to a litter last week and the kits are 9 days old. Today I came home to find that one of the kits must have crawled out of the nest and fallen to the bottom floor of the hutch (two storey hutch) I found the bun frozen and wasn't moving. If it wasn't for him opening his mouth I honestly thought he was dead.

I brought mom and kit indoors to warm him up, from being absolutely frozen to moving around in about an hour which is great. Limbs don't seem to be broken at he is stretching and bending them all.

Now I am not sure what to do? He latches onto to drink some milk every now and then but he's not fully ok yet i dont think, very slow moving.

Any ideas?

Im planning on keeping them both together for a bit longer so he can get his strength back is this wise??

Last edited:
I think you need to put the mum and baby back in the hutch - only time will tell now. He likely was still attached to her when she hopped out of the nest-box, and got dragged out. He needs to go back in the nest, he needs the warmth of the others.

2 storey hutches arent really suitable for breeding. Can you not close off the ramp so mum is only on the floor containing the babies?

I would also close of the second storey - and keep a very close eye on this little one as when we had accidental babies the same one managed to fall out of the nest 3 times!!!!

Thanks for your quick responses.

It was an accidental litter and my first time experiencing one so very wary of what to do and have been reading up on it all here. It didn't even cross my mind that he might still have been attached.

I have put them back in the hutch luckily all are being moved into a shed on sunday I just wish it was sooner. I will try and close up the second story until then.

I am off work on friday but really worried this will happen again, I have been checking the litter every opportunity I get as one kit already died. Hopefully tomorrow he will be ok i've been trying so hard :(

Just keep an eye on him, especially keep an eye on his tummy, to make sure he is still feeding okay, thats the most important when it comes to little kits' survival.

Can you put a piece of wood across where the ramp comes up or one of those big boxes you get at supermmarkets

I have checked him this morning before work and luckily he seems alright but will keep a close on on him for the next few days.

Tonight after work I will close off the second storey.

Back