• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunny's got matted fur

kymclayton

Young Bun
Hello Guys,

Was stroking my double maned lion head today, and noticed she has a mat that's about 0.5cm. Right next to her nose, and has her whiskers caught up in it.

I have read that whiskers are really sensitive, and really do not want to cut them off (only to get the mat out) if there is a better way.

It doesn't seem to bother her, she is still washing and will let me touch it, but if I try to detangle it she pulls away.

I brush her every other day (she's malting at the moment) and try and avoid these things happening!

Please help!

Thanks

K x

I would get someone to hold your bunny and you can then try to gently pull the matted fur out or carefully cut bits at a time. I have been assured that whiskers will grow back if you should accidentally cut through one.

I would get someone to hold your bunny and you can then try to gently pull the matted fur out or carefully cut bits at a time. I have been assured that whiskers will grow back if you should accidentally cut through one.

Thank you for your reply. She isn't really a sit and hold her type of rabbit, she will let me hold her and pretty much do what I want to her but when it comes to anyone else she doesn't like it, even my OH who has been with her as long as me!

May just have to take the plunge and cut it, but she has about 4/5 whiskers caught in it, I am so scared of hurting her, because its in such an funny position!

Thank you

Update:

Cut the mat out this morning, we are now minus 2 little whiskers but she seems very happy its out, we had lots of binkies!

Thanks for your advise!

Back