• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Quick

tasherd

Warren Scout
Hi
I was just cutting Lucys nails and I am always very careful when doing this and only cut the ends off, unfortunately Lucy jumped and I have chopped the quick in her nail. It was bleeding quite a bit but stopped more or less straight away she hasnt licked it and isnt limping, but what can I do its not that bad I can still see her nail and theres not point of putting it in flour or corn starch as it has stopped bleeding. What can I do to stop it getting infected or will it be ok? Also when I do Jacks he FEAKS OUT I have tried trancing him, holding him upright, every position you can think of what can I do as he hates the vets!
Thanks

Bunny will be fine as long as he isn't in any messy bedding. Have you got someone to hold the other rabbit while you cut its claws?

Ok thanks and yes my partner holds him and he hates it he just flips over and tries to run away and does the same at the vets I can cut his claws I just cant get him to stay still! :)

I cut my late rabbits claws myself after the vet nurse showed me,the girl bun Cleo was fine she sat on the kitchen counter and was no problem at all.The boy Rio was not for it at all.We had to towel wrap him and do one foot a day,mind, his claws were really thick.The vet stated he had really tickly back feet and he kicked liked a kangaroo.:D

He should be fine. Next time wrap him in a towel and sit with him on someones knee whilst the other person moves it to gain access to each foot and clip the nails. Try not to trance him if you can, the terrifying experience will just make him hate nail-clipping more as he'll associate it with that paralysing fear.

Back