• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Apple back to the vet

Rhianna

Wise Old Thumper
My bunnies are determined to make my hair completely grey:cry:

Went out to give them their brekkie this morning early and Apple was nowhere to be seen. Normally, they all rush to the front of the run keen for their noms but today only Berry and Cherry appeared. I found Apple underneath the hutch. Managed to catch her and noticed she still isn't grooming herself (she went to the vet last week to have her teeth cut and hadn't been grooming before that).

I syringe fed her and she was clearly hungry.

I have been made redundant and am on a course for three days which I need to complete and pass in order to be given some shifts working with clients with acquired brain injury. It is in Southampton and the traffic is a nightmare go get there for 9.00 am. I knew I wouldn't concentrate if I was worried about Apple so 'phoned them and said I would be late and asked my vet to fit me in asap which he did.

I then had to catch her - she managed to get herself between the back of the hutch and the run and I had to climb on the hutch and reach down, getting wet and dirty in the process. I was then late for the vet appointment.

Apple had her teeth cut again - they were only done at the end of last week. She was given metaclop and I have three more injections to give her, along with baytril as one of her legs is sore. I have just got home from my course and she isn't interested in supper either:( Haven't a clue what is wrong with her.

I did ask the vet about removing her teeth as she needs them cut monthly. He advised against it as he said they are likely to grow again anyway and they are so easy to cut. It is just like cutting her nails - and she just sits there and doesn't stress at all.

I just hope she starts eating later. Have just bought some nommy dried plantain from PAH so hope that may do the trick.

Any spare vibes would be really appreciated.

Last edited:
Sending lots of vibes for apple, and thinking of you as you deal with yet another bunny worry. :( xxx

:cry:

Has she had pain relief ?

Did the Vet check her molars ?

Hope she feels better soon xx

Yes and yes:)

It was absolutely pouring with rain this morning and Apple had been out in the run overnight so was soaking (her choice - the hutch and run are combined - Berry and Cherry were nice and dry). I gave her a bottom bath as she was so muddy. Syringe fed her again.

Have only just got home from a course and Apple ran up to the edge of the run with the other two asking where their teat-time noms were as they are usually fed much earlier.

I medicated Apple but haven't syringe fed her as I thought she may eat - and she did - just as normal:):) She is muddy but it is dry so I haven't bathed her again. Hopefully, now her teeth are shorter she will be able to start grooming herself properly again..

Hopefully, it was just her front teeth causing problems. I don't think the vet last week cut them low enough - and he left the top ones completely.

Thank you all for your support.

My bunsters are certainly causing me worry at the moment - they seem to be taking it in turn:)

Normal nomming has been resumed:D Apple was just as enthusiastic as the other two for her pellets this morning.

She still has a sore leg but hopefully the antibiotics will clear that up. It isn't infected at all which is good. She looks very bedraggled though as she seems to get far muddier than the other two. She is the one who used to regularly escape when they were in a pen in the lounge - a real little character:love:

Sam (Bluesmum) is coming over shortly so I am going to ask her opinion on Apple's leg. I think it is best I wait until I finish the course of Baytril before taking her back to the vet but Sam is more objective than I am. Apple doesn't stress too much at the vet now as she is so used to getting her teeth cut monthly so that is a real help.

Apple is eating normally now but her leg looks sore and bleeding so she is going to the vet later on (I have a meeting shortly).

I have absolutely no idea what is causing it. The fur has come off and it is red and bleeding - only a little but must be uncomfortable for her.

I am going to have to block off part of their run as she goes under the hutch and behind Furby and Faye's run and there is no way I can reach her to medicate her.

I have had two vets already look at her leg and neither seemed to know what was causing the problem. Hopefully, I will be given an answer this afternoon. Poor little Apple. She is so fed up with being given medication that she hides now when she sees me:cry:

:( Poor Apple, hope you get an answer today.

I hate doing meds, its a nightmare with Babydarling. The 2 girls stand up, aim and pee all over me. Its a natural defence mechanism. Then for some reason his daughter has pee fights with him as soon as I have finished his meds. He runs and hides as soon as he sees me.

The vet is still unsure what is causing Apple's sore leg. He did wonder if it was mange or an allergy to something but doesn't know. He has given her a steroid injection and I am to continue baytril and he will see her again on Saturday. She has lost some weight too - but that could be as she didn't eat as much while her teeth needed cutting.

I was late for the appointment as Apple is so difficult to catch. For a bun with a poorly leg she can certainly run fast - and trying to find a grey bunny in the dark with no light is no fun:(:( Her leg has scabs on so the vet advised against creams or bathing.

Any spare vibes would be appreciated. I am out of work at the moment so every vet visit is a worry financially as well as emotionally.

Mega vibes for Apple.

I didn't or haven't heard of mange in bunnies. Thought it was a dogs rash/illness.

She is quite young isn't she. Is it still the Ilatian vets or is your usual one back now ?

Mega vibes for Apple.

I didn't or haven't heard of mange in bunnies. Thought it was a dogs rash/illness.

She is quite young isn't she. Is it still the Ilatian vets or is your usual one back now ?

Yes, Apple is only about 18 months old. My usual vet is back now and saw Apple last week along with his colleague (two vets for the price of one:)) Today it was just his colleague.

I know cats can get mange so I guess bunnies can too.

Have just got in and Apple rushed up to the side of the run with the other two jumping up asking for noms. They have already had their supper but I gave them some more SS pellets as none of them are overweight and it is cold out there. Apple nommed away quite happily. She seems fine in herself but her legs do look awful - like some of the photos on RU of neglected bunnies:(:(

She has been to the vet three times in just over two weeks and has seen three different vets so I don't know what more I can do:cry:

If it's an allergy I have no idea what she could be allergic to. Hopefully the additional antibiotics will do the trick. I haven't noticed her scratching at all and the vet said if it was mange she would be doing so.

Am just glad she is eating again - and running around generally getting into mischief. She has always been the smallest of the trio - but the naughtiest:?

Glad Apple is eating well again, it's always worrying when you're unsure if they are!

Hope the antibiotics clear up the problem with her leg :( poor thing. But surely being up for being naughty is a good thing :lol: :)

Have just had to give up catching her for her antibiotics - she darts away as soon as I get near her and the other two were eating all the noms while Apple hid so I will go back when they have finished. At least she isn't limping - and can climb and run as usual. Their set-up makes it impossible to catch her once she hides though and I can't work out how to change it.

Yes, I am pleased she is still naughty:)

Berry and Cherry will go into the hutch if I put food in there - but Apple is too wise for that. However, what I could do is shut Berry and Cherry in the hutch temporarily and then give Apple a treat with the Baytril on it. She needs to put on some weight so it doesn't matter if it is a naughty treat. Any ideas anyone? She doesn't like banana:(

Last edited:
When Spenser was on baytril I could only get him to take in drizzled on curly kale, his absolute favourite noms. I have done metacam via fenugreek crunchie, and fibreplex as a strawberry leaf sandwich. He is an absolute terror to handle, so I sympathise with your predicament!

Back