• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

OMG....Barbie just swallowed one of these....

Little_Girl

Warren Scout
:shock::shock:Help! what a bad day for me....i wonder should i take her to the vet...

daddy was doing some work in the garden, when he was tidying up the tool box, he accidentally dropped two of these on the floor...
ABC.png

i was playing with Barbie in the kitchen, she heard the drop and ran straight to daddy and ate it...(she must be thinking thats a nugget)
Daddy managed to pick up the other one asap, but it was too late to get the one she ate out of her mouth...

The size of that is about 0.8cm...it's made of metal....
she still eating and drinking okay now, but i worry that it may be harmful to her tummy? will she be able to poo it out since the size is smaller than her normal poo?
Help! Im so panic here....:(:cry:

I would definitely ring the vet if you are worried and see if they think it can pass through her system OK. I can't visualise one of them so dont know how big it is to be honest! Hope she's alright, bless her :wave:

:shock:

Id definatly give a rabbit savvy vet a call and see what they say.

Good luck and loads of vibes for your silly girl! X

Personally, the shape and size of it, Id say it would pass through with no problem,
But I would definitely call your vet and ask their opinion.

I'd ring the vet for their opinion, they will probably tell you to keep an eye on it coming out the other end for a while and say if its not out by xx come in....

Hope it passes x

I think I would be taking her to a Vet straight away. I would expect her to be admitted for observation as *if* she has ingested it she could be in big trouble :cry:

I would expect the Vet to do an abdominal ultrasound and continue to do them, with other obs, until the FB has passed. If indeed it can pass

:cry:

Sending vibes.

thanks everyone...:cry:

just rang the vet and got both the nurse and vet answered the phone...
both said that it is a tricky one to deal with, as rabbit's system is very special
the vet open until 7pm, i will keep an eye on her for 1-2 hours and see if she can pass it out, if not i will take her to the vet....
i have appointment for her VHD injection tomorrow morning anyway, so they can have a look on her as well

sooooo worry....i feel so guilty for this to happen....:(:(

Yeah you need to ring the vet as I wouldn't like to think of something that hard and metal getting blocked in her system somewhere. Hope she is ok!

OOOps must have posted the same time as you!

Good luck and hope she poops it out ok

thanks everyone...:cry:

just rang the vet and got both the nurse and vet answered the phone...
both said that it is a tricky one to deal with, as rabbit's system is very special
the vet open until 7pm, i will keep an eye on her for 1-2 hours and see if she can pass it out, if not i will take her to the vet....
i have appointment for her VHD injection tomorrow morning anyway, so they can have a look on her as well

sooooo worry....i feel so guilty for this to happen....:(:(

She wont pass it in 2 hours, it could take at least 24. But it could get no further than her stomach and not be able to pass through to the small intestines. This would cause her stomach to swell up (bloat) She really, really needs to be admitted for intensive obs as *if* she obstructs it is a surgical emergency and just a few hours delay can mean the difference between life or death. I am sorry to be so blunt and I fully understand that this was a total accident. But it really is not a 'wait and see' situation.

And hey don't feel guilty accidents happen one of mine once ate a firework that someone had thrown over the wall after it had been set off!

I do agree with Jane though about it getting past the stomach. If it blocks bunny will be in serious trouble.

She wont pass it in 2 hours, it could take at least 24. But it could get no further than her stomach and not be able to pass through to the small intestines. This would cause her stomach to swell up (bloat) She really, really needs to be admitted for intensive obs as *if* she obstructs it is a surgical emergency and just a few hours delay can mean the difference between life or death. I am sorry to be so blunt and I fully understand that this was a total accident. But it really is not a 'wait and see' situation.

I would absolutely agree with this - having had a rabbit that had a blockage on a tiny footpad lum of fur, and another that sadly passed away whilst trying to poo out impacted material from the gut which was too large to pass out (long story - not our fault - due to previous owners treatment of bun).

I think I'd want to take her to the vet too, also I have the highest regard for Janes knowledge about rabbits so can do nothing but agree with her.

But don't feel bad, buns can be little so and so's for getting themselves into trouble. During some home improvements years ago one of our old buns managed to run under a moving saw :shock: and hop across a wooden board that had just been covered in glue :shock::shock::shock: this was despite us locking her in another room, she was a bit of an escape artist!!!

Updated! Good news!

Hey guys! I am soooooo glad to let you all know that....:lol:
We found that metal nut under the tumble dryer! (which is placed near Barbie's house)

I was so upset early on....and was getting ready to take her to the vet...

suddenly my sister in law came visit me, she said 'did you actually see Barbie chewing that metal?'

that reminds me...Maybe we were so nervous at that time and she did not actually swallowed it...maybe she kicked it somewhere...:roll:

Then, we done a BIG search around the room and found that nut sitting at the cornor of the wall, under the tumble dryer...

Thanks God! I know I am so so stupid for letting this happened....it was such a scary experience!

Thank you for everyone's help and suggestions....thank you :p

Yay wonderful news!

It would have been a bit odd for a bun to eat such an unusual thing!!!

Back