• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Urgent ! Loads of sneezes then loud choke/mouth sounds [x3] after

whitehood

Warren Veteran
I went out to give Lucky hay, he was in the run and hopped to the front.
He started to sneeze loads uncomfortably then choked/made a loud choke sound? then sneezes followed after that. He made 3 choking sounds in total.
He started to clean his nose every time he sneezed.

Advice please..

ETA: Cough sounds

At night I filled a carrier with hay and Lucky was in it this morning eating the hay.

The hay may have been dusty, it was hay for pet's timothy hay.

Last edited:
Rabbits can't regurgitate, so is it possible he had something stuck in his throat?

How is he now? Does he appear distressed/breathing quicker than usual?

I went out to give Lucky hay, he was in the run and hopped to the front.
He started to sneeze loads uncomfortably then choked/made a loud choke sound? then sneezes followed after that. He made 3 choking sounds in total.
He started to clean his nose every time he sneezed.

Advice please..

ETA: Cough sounds

At night I filled a carrier with hay and Lucky was in it this morning eating the hay.

The hay may have been dusty, it was hay for pet's timothy hay.

He may have got a load of dust up his nose. In severe attacks of sneezing a Rabbit can 'cough' too. However it is not possible to say for certain that it was dust causing the problem without examining him.

Is there any evidence of discharge from his nose ? He has had 'Snuffles' before hasn't he ?

It is probably a good idea to get him checked over by a Vet as that would be the best way to insure that there are no underlying problems.

Rabbits can't regurgitate, so is it possible he had something stuck in his throat?

How is he now? Does he appear distressed/breathing quicker than usual?

Thank you for replying so fast

He's being normal, I went to check on him again after reading your post and he was in his tray eating the hay I put for him. He's breathing normally and I've given him a carrot and fresh wet long grass from the flower beds.

I don't think he has anything stuck his throat? He was let out yesterday to free range but was normal and there's nothing in his setup that he could have swallowed.

He may have got a load of dust up his nose. In severe attacks of sneezing a Rabbit can 'cough' too. However it is not possible to say for certain that it was dust causing the problem without examining him.

Is there any evidence of discharge from his nose ? He has had 'Snuffles' before hasn't he ?

It is probably a good idea to get him checked over by a Vet as that would be the best way to insure that there are no underlying problems.

I didn't notice any discharge right then but when I went to re check him there was yellow fur under his nose, so yes that's probably from discharge.

He's had snuffles before but as it wasn't severe, the vets told me to leave him and maybe a good diet could improve him.

Thank you for your reply, I'll phone the vets now.

I didn't notice any discharge right then but when I went to re check him there was yellow fur under his nose, so yes that's probably from discharge.

He's had snuffles before but as it wasn't severe, the vets told me to leave him and maybe a good diet could improve him.

:thumb:

:thumb:

V does this sometimes after sneezing fits. It scares the life out of me :(

Hope your bun just had a bit of dust up his nose and is fine now. Please let us know how you get on at the vets.

how did it go with the vets?

Hope he is ok now...really check his nose...one of buns got a 6 cm piece of thin hay stuck right up her nose...I saw about 5mm tiny little piece which at first glance looked like wet fur...then i rubbed my finger down her nostril and it came out abit....was really long and pulled it out.. i hadnt seen it for about 1 day either so really check & keep checking if he keeps sneezing and washing his nose

hope he is ok xxx

Back