PDA

View Full Version : Nail clipping

Dave81
30-10-2012, 10:44 PM
Should have some clippers arriving in a day or 2, I will admit I have neglected the girls nails and some of them are starting to curl.

They have dark nails so how do I know where the qik ends (is that spelt right), I know I have read about cutting back to where the fur ends but if some have curled up slightly can I still use that method of where to cut back to?

I'm planning on distracting them with food as its the only time they stay still without doing a runner

Elena
30-10-2012, 10:46 PM
If you want to be sure and don't want to use the 'where the fur stops' method then if you have a head torch and wear that and shine it through the nails you can see where the quick is a lot easier.

Dave81
30-10-2012, 10:52 PM
If you want to be sure and don't want to use the 'where the fur stops' method then if you have a head torch and wear that and shine it through the nails you can see where the quick is a lot easier.

Ah might try my phone then its got a really bright light on it for the camera so that should do the job, just wasnt sure what to do with the curled nails

emileemason
31-10-2012, 05:46 AM
im no expert on the topic but i remember reading that if you leave cutting the nails for a while the quik will grow as the nail does so i wouldnt just cut to where the fur is because if they are long nails the quik may have grown past that then your poor bunny will have a bleeding nail if you cut it :(

so id deffinately go with the light trick, or just cut off the tips regularly as the quik will recede back :) and then you can go back to cutting when needed (back to where fur stops) :)

as i said this is just from reading posts on here when i was looking up how to do it not long ago, but good luck! :thumb:

ReeceT
31-10-2012, 07:54 AM
I agree with the others. Also it would be a great help of you had two pairs of hands. Buns can be extremely difficult to hold still for nail clipping. :thumb::thumb:

Dave81
31-10-2012, 05:44 PM
Only one pair of hands unfortunately, I will ensure I use the light method for checking

Lady Logamorph
31-10-2012, 06:05 PM
I like site mine on my knee so they are sort of sat up and just hold the nail in my hand and then snip the ends off. I only snip a small amount of. Depends if yours will sit there though or not.

Dave81
03-11-2012, 01:50 PM
Having looked at one of the rabbits nails more closely they don't appear to be that bad, only slightly overgrown but not by much.

I do have a question about the nails on the inside of the paw, they appear to be smaller and naturally curl up slightly, i'm assuming thats normal for a rabbits foot?

As I don't quite need to do them yet, i'm going to spend time with them holding their foot etc to get them used to it

BattleKat
03-11-2012, 02:19 PM
Emilee is right that the quick will grow with the claw, so if they are a bit overgrown you'll need to do it gradually and wait for them to recede.
I use the torch method with my bun's black nails and have still had accidents, so I definitely wouldn't try without :lol:

Dave81
11-11-2012, 09:21 PM
Me again :lol:

Just been doing fluffy today, well one foot whilst I was syringe feeding her.

I've taken the claw back to the fur, I could go further without doing any damage so do I or is it fine just to leave