• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Nail clipping

Dave81

Mama Doe
Should have some clippers arriving in a day or 2, I will admit I have neglected the girls nails and some of them are starting to curl.

They have dark nails so how do I know where the qik ends (is that spelt right), I know I have read about cutting back to where the fur ends but if some have curled up slightly can I still use that method of where to cut back to?

I'm planning on distracting them with food as its the only time they stay still without doing a runner

If you want to be sure and don't want to use the 'where the fur stops' method then if you have a head torch and wear that and shine it through the nails you can see where the quick is a lot easier.

If you want to be sure and don't want to use the 'where the fur stops' method then if you have a head torch and wear that and shine it through the nails you can see where the quick is a lot easier.

Ah might try my phone then its got a really bright light on it for the camera so that should do the job, just wasnt sure what to do with the curled nails

im no expert on the topic but i remember reading that if you leave cutting the nails for a while the quik will grow as the nail does so i wouldnt just cut to where the fur is because if they are long nails the quik may have grown past that then your poor bunny will have a bleeding nail if you cut it :(

so id deffinately go with the light trick, or just cut off the tips regularly as the quik will recede back :) and then you can go back to cutting when needed (back to where fur stops) :)

as i said this is just from reading posts on here when i was looking up how to do it not long ago, but good luck! :thumb:

I agree with the others. Also it would be a great help of you had two pairs of hands. Buns can be extremely difficult to hold still for nail clipping. :thumb::thumb:

I like site mine on my knee so they are sort of sat up and just hold the nail in my hand and then snip the ends off. I only snip a small amount of. Depends if yours will sit there though or not.

Having looked at one of the rabbits nails more closely they don't appear to be that bad, only slightly overgrown but not by much.

I do have a question about the nails on the inside of the paw, they appear to be smaller and naturally curl up slightly, i'm assuming thats normal for a rabbits foot?

As I don't quite need to do them yet, i'm going to spend time with them holding their foot etc to get them used to it

Emilee is right that the quick will grow with the claw, so if they are a bit overgrown you'll need to do it gradually and wait for them to recede.
I use the torch method with my bun's black nails and have still had accidents, so I definitely wouldn't try without :lol:

Me again :lol:

Just been doing fluffy today, well one foot whilst I was syringe feeding her.

I've taken the claw back to the fur, I could go further without doing any damage so do I or is it fine just to leave

Back