• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

rabbit and kitten

curlyanwurly

Warren Scout
we have baby rabbit who gets on great with my 3yrold cat however we also have a 4 month old kitten who keeps jumping on the rabbit and getting her in a headlock, the kitten dosent seem to be biting her and it looks as if shes playing but rather roughly and when she jumps on the rabbit the rabbit just sits there and does nothing! how can I stop the kitten from doing this or do I need to wait untill they are both a bit older and try again?

Just keep the kitten away from the rabbit.

Whilst she is playing, for a rabbit, as a prey species, that's exceptionally stressful (she is likely freezing because she is petrified). Also, it only takes one tiny knick from the kittens nails to introduce bacteria into the rabbit that could prove fatal (this happened with one of my bunnies so I'm not over catastrophising). The only safe course of action is to keep them apart.

we have baby rabbit who gets on great with my 3yrold cat however we also have a 4 month old kitten who keeps jumping on the rabbit and getting her in a headlock, the kitten dosent seem to be biting her and it looks as if shes playing but rather roughly and when she jumps on the rabbit the rabbit just sits there and does nothing! how can I stop the kitten from doing this or do I need to wait untill they are both a bit older and try again?

This isn't safe at all.
I would advise keeping both your cats separate from your rabbit.
Rabbits are prey animals and your baby rabbit probably does nothing because (a) it is absolutely terrified - they are prey animals; (b) it would stand no chance against your kitten and is likely to be badly hurt or worse.
I wouldn't trust your adult cat with your baby rabbit, either.

my adult cat grooms the rabbit and the rabbit grooms her and whilst they are not left alone together I dont have a problem with those 2 , the older cat was even hissing at the younger cat tonight when she came anywhere near, I only let it happen twice , the first time I didnt realise her intentions so I scooped the kitten off with a firm NO and tried again, when it happend the 2nd time I put the kitten in a seperate rooms so the rabbit could still free range, she hopped about happily examining everywhere and didnt seem stressed out at all, my kitten goes in the garden when my adult buns are out and they put the kitten in its place and if anything I fear for the kitten when the older buns are out as they chase her!
I wonder if the kitten is jealous as the bunny came in second to her and both of them are my babies, the kitten sleeps in my bed all night and the rabbit culrs up on my lap in the evenings which is why I would like them to become friends.
in all fairness if we are talking natrual instincts here the rabbit should be outside not living indoors but i felt she was to young and skinny to be out on her own at night this year.

Back