• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

U/D all is fine. Bit of a problem with Mr Bennett not eating his pellets

Barn Yard Bunnies

Staff member
He is eating though.

A few months ago Mr Bennett suddenly went off crunchies. I had 4 packets and he won't touch them. That lasted about 6/7 weeks, then the week before last he started begging for them again.

He will eat crunchies now but not his pellets. :? Normal poo. Ate some plantain. He is a bit of a fussy eater. Don't know whether to worry or not. But he not at all interested in his ss pellets. Cannot be anything wrong with the pellets my other 2 are scoffing them.

Last edited:
Oh no have you got a new batch perhaps. Stu does this when he has the start of statis.

Yes new ss pellets. Opened them Thursday. I noticed he wasn't keen yesterday and left a pile. So long as he scoffs a crunchie I know he is fine.

What do I do ? Let him have crunchies instead ?

OH dear, hope it isn't statis again. He has been fairly quiet today.

Get him running or moving more this could liven him up a bit more.
Maybe offer him other foods like bits of carrots or apples to encourage him to eat. Dip them in water first for water intake.

Hope someone more knowledgable sees this :wave:

Get him running or moving more this could liven him up a bit more.
Maybe offer him other foods like bits of carrots or apples to encourage him to eat. Dip them in water first for water intake.

Hope someone more knowledgable sees this :wave:

He became fussy about apple and carrots a long time ago. He would have a nibble but doesn't really eat them. Only apple I have is stale. I should bin it.

Not his active time of day, its the morning. He is lying down eating hay. Bit of a lazy boy.

I had this with Spenser once, and now tend to open a new bag before the old one is done. Different batches can look slightly different, so doubtless they taste different too. Is he eating hay etc as usual?

I had this with Spenser once, and now tend to open a new bag before the old one is done. Different batches can look slightly different, so doubtless they taste different too. Is he eating hay etc as usual?

Very good advice.

Have seen him eat readigrass, plantain and crunchies. Only catch glimpses of him eating hay. Mr B is under the bed now and unlikely to come out for the rest of night.

Spenser: How many crunchies does Mr Bennet get daily? Mummy is very mean with mine. :evil:

Susie: I hope Mr Bennett adjusts to the new SS sooner than later. Perhaps a tempting dish of mixed favourites (and a few SS just in case) under the bed might go down well. A sort of bunny midnight feast.

Spenser: How many crunchies does Mr Bennet get daily? Mummy is very mean with mine. :evil:

Susie: I hope Mr Bennett adjusts to the new SS sooner than later. Perhaps a tempting dish of mixed favourites (and a few SS just in case) under the bed might go down well. A sort of bunny midnight feast.

Used to be about 3 a day.:oops: Today 5. :shock: Only as no pellets were eaten. I am a bad bad bunny mum, all the buns are looking rather rounded. :oops:

Tomorrow buying his favourite, fresh dill, fresh basil and some wild rocket. I don't give him any other fresh food as I notice it used to cause stomach problems. He loved banana, but felt it wasn't good for him. Not had any for at least 4 or 5 months.

Hope tomorrow's shopping meets with Mr Bennett's approval.

Spenser was very rude about basil. He wouldn't eat anything until I had removed the offending leaves from the hutch. :roll:

It sounds like tooth root problems from over the internet. :( Would you be able to speak to a vet to set if you could give some metacam?

Hope I'm wrong and he feels better soon.

It sounds like tooth root problems from over the internet. :( Would you be able to speak to a vet to set if you could give some metacam?

When I suspected this might be the case with Spenser, I found that he would take softened pellets. A little boiled water, and left to cool before serving. Thankfully it turned ut he was just being fussy, and I haven't had to do this for over a year. Might be worth a try.

Hope tomorrow's shopping meets with Mr Bennett's approval.

Spenser was very rude about basil. He wouldn't eat anything until I had removed the offending leaves from the hutch. :roll:

Did take Cutie-pie and Mr Bennett weeks to get used to basil. I buy it for cooking. With Bandit he will eat everything given to him, including lavander. Now he is one seriously greedy bun. I have to watch his food bullying with Cutie-pie. I noticed she has learnt to keep out of his way when I arrive with food.

Mr B had a dental in April. Will moniter him in the next few days and seriously think about taking him to the vets. This has to be the longest time I haven't visited the vets. Nearly 5 months, even then it was only for vacs.

I too was thinking teeth. The first sign of Tinkerbell's abscess was her not eating pellets.

I too was thinking teeth. The first sign of Tinkerbell's abscess was her not eating pellets.

I got up at the crack of dawn to check on him. He spent the night, doing who knows what under the wardrobe, making a lot of noise.

He refused his pellets. Sniffed them but not interested. He happily ate 2 crunchies. Hoping he is just being fussy.

Is he eating plenty of hay?
I'm really mean and would cut out the crunchies until he is eating his 'proper' food.
Think I would take him for a vet check-up; better safe than sorry and he may be in pain.

I don't know what gets into Mr B but he has been tucking into his pellets in the last few days as well as crunchies and hay. He has his moods and goes off certain food, then changes his mind.

I don't know what gets into Mr B but he has been tucking into his pellets in the last few days as well as crunchies and hay. He has his moods and goes off certain food, then changes his mind.

Some bunnies are just fussy and moody, but I would have his teeth given a good check next time he is at the the vet. Sometimes I think they just like to worry us, but best to be sure.

I am in trouble with Lord Spenser tonight for buying the wrong type of parsley. :roll:

Back