• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Argh! Buttons has built a nest

Alison Marie

Wise Old Thumper
Pretty sure it's a phantom because she was only moved indoors very recently. Will have to keep an eye on her... She's currently tearing around the kitchen :thumb: Need to think about getting her spayed soon too but after Nibbles' neutering I'm a bit scared :oops:

Hmm. She's hiding a lot today, in her blue igloo. She doesn't normally hide. Her nest is next to the igloo but not in it. Should I be worried or is it normal for a phantom? When she had her last phantom she was outdoors so I guess I didn't see any of the quirks :shock:

Has she had contact with an entire Buck in the last 30 or so days ?

Or has she had contact with Nibbles less than 6 weeks after her neuter ?

Has she had contact with an entire Buck in the last 30 or so days ?

Or has she had contact with Nibbles less than 6 weeks after her neuter ?

The only time she had contact with Nibbles - that I know of - was Saturday. And if she's built a nest now then that's far too early, which is why I'm 99% sure it's a phantom... She's only been inside the house for about 2 weeks, she's been outside (alone) before then. I'm just wondering if the OH had brought her inside at all before that though, cos he sometimes did while she was being cleaned or if the weather was particularly bad. :-/

The only time she had contact with Nibbles - that I know of - was Saturday. And if she's built a nest now then that's far too early, which is why I'm 99% sure it's a phantom... She's only been inside the house for about 2 weeks, she's been outside (alone) before then. I'm just wondering if the OH had brought her inside at all before that though, cos he sometimes did while she was being cleaned or if the weather was particularly bad. :-/

Can you ask him :)

If he has then she may be about to kindle so you'll need to be prepared.

Can you ask him :)

If he has then she may be about to kindle so you'll need to be prepared.

Mmm, I'm trying to keep an eye on her. I haven't got a box or anything to give her if she is though. :?

Will be glad when this 6 weeks has passed for Nibbles, no more worrying if there's an accident! Having said that, we were quite concerned the first time as she had a phantom shortly after they were separated at 3 months...!

No babies yet :thumb: not out of the woods yet though, OH said they had a brief encounter between 3 and 4 weeks ago :(

It only takes a brief encounter! Is there part of the cage whiich is covered, like private or you could cover the whole cage.

Yes, unfortunately it only has to be brief doesn't it >.<

I'm thinking if she hasn't had any in the next week, then it should be fine... right? Just been keeping an eye on her really. She's running around the kitchen at the moment...!

OH really knows how to worry me! Is it worth popping her up to the vet tomorrow to see if they can feel anything (that's if she hasn't had anything overnight)? OH said he tried to pick her up earlier and he thought he felt movement in her belly :?

OH really knows how to worry me! Is it worth popping her up to the vet tomorrow to see if they can feel anything (that's if she hasn't had anything overnight)? OH said he tried to pick her up earlier and he thought he felt movement in her belly :?

It's best not to move her and upset her just now, give it over the weekend then see what you think. Waiting it out is probably best for now.

Do you have a cardboard box that you could cut a step out of one side to let her get in and out but keep any babies safe and secure for the first wee while? Even newborns wiggle loads and can climb out of the nest or get dragged when mum walks away after feeding.

It's best not to move her and upset her just now, give it over the weekend then see what you think. Waiting it out is probably best for now.

Thanks :thumb: I have no idea what to look out for or what to do, all I'm doing is checking she's okay and er, obviously if there's anything in the nest.

Back