• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Gutted... Can none help? Dental and eye related

VickyC83

Mama Doe
I've just been to pick Bunzle up from his dental. When I dropped him off I asked the vet to check hs eyes (again) as they had been running, as advised I've been sing Beaphar eye gel on him. Although I had been bathing and combing his fur, some had got matted and I asked the vet if he could try to comb out or remove the fur that was hard while he was under.

He has scabs round his eyes, when I saw him I burst into tears. I feel SO ashamed, but I've done everything I can. I've got baytril to give him, and the vet said to lay off the eye gel for now. I'm guessing its the tooth roots that are causing this. We're going back to the vet on Friday.

I want to stay on top of this, can anyone help with any suggestions? Can I put anything on his sores?

I just feel like I'm doing more bad than good :cry:

Grim has this and it's his roots. It's not always infection, sometimes they just run with tears because there's nowhere else for them to go. I use sudacrem and vaseline on his cheeks but not too close to the eyes. There's not a while lot you can do. Partner buns can help with cleaning.

Don't feel ashamed! It sounds like you have done everything in your power to help him! When my rabbits had sores my vet said that the best thing to do is keep them clean and dry. Any sort of antiseptic cream won't help because he will just end up licking it off! :)

Grim has this and it's his roots. It's not always infection, sometimes they just run with tears because there's nowhere else for them to go. I use sudacrem and vaseline on his cheeks but not too close to the eyes. There's not a while lot you can do. Partner buns can help with cleaning.

Thank you. It's horrible knowing there's no stopping it.

I'm sorry to hear Bunzle is poorly. Has he had any skull x-rays taken to confirm whether or not it's a tooth root problem?

Bubbles had tooth root issues and it was a case of trying to manage the symptoms really. :( Bubbles' eyes weren't affected though, so I can't offer advice on that particularly.

Filing the molars right back (rather than just taking off any sharp spurs) can help take pressure off the roots. How does Bunzle seem in himself and is he eating well? If it's overgrown tooth roots, they can be quite painful, so Bubbles was on daily metacam for pain relief.

Don't feel ashamed! It sounds like you have done everything in your power to help him! When my rabbits had sores my vet said that the best thing to do is keep them clean and dry. Any sort of antiseptic cream won't help because he will just end up licking it off! :)

Thank you. I'm just gutted that I can't make it all stop. I dunno :)

I'm sorry to hear Bunzle is poorly. Has he had any skull x-rays taken to confirm whether or not it's a tooth root problem?

Bubbles had tooth root issues and it was a case of trying to manage the symptoms really. :( Bubbles' eyes weren't affected though, so I can't offer advice on that particularly.

Filing the molars right back (rather than just taking off any sharp spurs) can help take pressure off the roots. How does Bunzle seem in himself and is he eating well? If it's overgrown tooth roots, they can be quite painful, so Bubbles was on daily metacam for pain relief.

Thank you :)

He Santa had any x-rays taken. I know it's his teeth. Like you say, it's a case of managing it.

He's had his teeth filed right own, again bless him. He's on daily metacam too. He's been eating fine, I put that down to the metacam. Thanks again :)

Don't feel bad because you have done what was advised.

As KarenM says, if their molars are filed down rather than just spurs taken off this can help to alleviate any pressure that roots may be causing. The only way to know if roots are causing the problem are with a skull x-ray. If tear ducts are blocked he may just need a tear duct flush to clear it (not sure what you have checked out so far).

Now you can see the scabs, you will be able to treat them more directly. Hope they clear up soon x

It sounds like you're already doing all the right things for Bunzle. You have nothing to be ashamed of. xx

Justwanted to say i hope Bunzle gets better soon. Don't be hard on yourself, you are doing the best you can for him.

Don't feel bad because you have done what was advised.

As KarenM says, if their molars are filed down rather than just spurs taken off this can help to alleviate any pressure that roots may be causing. The only way to know if roots are causing the problem are with a skull x-ray. If tear ducts are blocked he may just need a tear duct flush to clear it (not sure what you have checked out so far).

Now you can see the scabs, you will be able to treat them more directly. Hope they clear up soon x

Thank you.

I'm going to write a list of questions for Friday for the vet.

I wish buns could talk.... It'd make things a lot easier lol

Hi there! Just wanted to add that my old bunny Kizzy had awful problems with his teeth/eyes. He used to not only get runny eyes but a huge pus filled abscess that came and went from time to time. I used to feel bad because he looked like he wasn't well care for but in actual fact it was bathed out 2 or 3 times a day with saline and i was back and forth to the vets for baytrill, brolene etc etc. In the end he had some teeth removed I think (5 years ago now) certainly he had some sort of op as his teeth were malaligned. After this the abscess never returned and he had to have his pellets mushed with warm water for the rest of his days.
Don't feel bad, you're doing all you can. I know how sad it makes you to see them like that but chin up!

Back