PDA

View Full Version : Neutering Advice Please



bunnymummy1979
30-10-2012, 03:20 PM
Hi,

Im hoping someone may be able to offer me some advice if thats ok.

Basically I am getting my gorgeous boy Max neautured next week, however what do I do after the op....he has always been with he's girlfriend, they have never been apart, but im guessing after the op I will have to keep them seperate until after he heals..in which case theres a good chance that they will un bond isnt there?.

Is there anything I can do that will encourage them to stay bonded as it will be a real shame if after some time apart, they will not want to be with one another again

Sky-O
30-10-2012, 03:31 PM
Is his girlfriend spayed?

bunnymummy1979
30-10-2012, 03:45 PM
Hiya,

No she's not, she will be getting spayed asap as well x

Jack's-Jane
30-10-2012, 04:10 PM
Hiya,

No she's not, she will be getting spayed asap as well x


How old are they ?

bunnymummy1979
30-10-2012, 04:59 PM
16 weeks, it's earliest that my vets would consider neutering :(

Sky-O
30-10-2012, 05:35 PM
In my opinion, at that age you have a high risk of pregnancy, both before and after his neuter. My advice would be to split now and keep them separate until 6-8 weeks after she has been spayed (gives her time to heal and time for the hormones to die down), or, if your vet will consider it, get her spayed when he is neutered and keep them together, but don't delay his neuter.

bunnymummy1979
30-10-2012, 06:29 PM
Oh dear..what a nightmare, it's not actually my vet doing it, they won't neuter before 6 mths so I have had to go via a rescue as they neuter from 12 weeks. The lady I spoke too did say my doe may already be pregnant but as its her first litter, she may only have at most 4 and they will probably all die which is a blessing...her words not mine. :(

Sky-O
30-10-2012, 06:36 PM
Oh dear..what a nightmare, it's not actually my vet doing it, they won't neuter before 6 mths so I have had to go via a rescue as they neuter from 12 weeks. The lady I spoke too did say my doe may already be pregnant but as its her first litter, she may only have at most 4 and they will probably all die which is a blessing...her words not mine. :(

The lady is correct in that she might already be pregnanct, however, it is perfectly possible for her to successfully raise them, however many there are (which could be more than four given they have been living together).

Do you have a plan for what you're going to do?

bunnymummy1979
30-10-2012, 06:39 PM
Im thinking seperate them asap, then keep them apart until Max has recovered from hes op and is no longer able to impregnant Ruby, and hope to re bond them x.

Sky-O
30-10-2012, 06:49 PM
What will you do if she is pregnant?

Are you planning to spay her?

You will only be able to rebond 6-8 weeks after his neuter, at the very earliest.

MC870
30-10-2012, 06:59 PM
A good idea would be to split their cage/set up in two so they can still smell and see each other through the barrier. You will still have two take things slowly after the op though. :)

MC870
30-10-2012, 07:02 PM
A good idea would be to split their cage/set up in two so they can still smell and see each other through the barrier. You will need to take things slowly after the op though :)

bunnymummy1979
30-10-2012, 07:02 PM
Yes i will be getting her spayed, as soon as I can. I cant really see what other option I have, I just hope when I do finally try to rebond them, they will take to one another again x

Sky-O
30-10-2012, 07:04 PM
Good stuff. It would be sensible to wait to rebond until both are 6-8 weeks post op to give them the biggest chance of success. Can you get a spay through the same vets you're using for the neuter?

bunnymummy1979
30-10-2012, 07:09 PM
They don't neuter does unfortunately, and the vets where I have the buns registered, will not neuter until 6 months.

They currently live in a converted wendy house, I have an indoor cage..perhaps I could house Max in there and put it inside the wendy house so that like you said, they can still see and smell one another...would that work?

Sky-O
30-10-2012, 07:14 PM
If they neuter at 6 months, that's ok, because by the time she is ready to be spayed, he will only be nearly ready to rebond, so you can just get her done and then wait it out. Better that than delay her spay to rebond.

As for housing, without knowing your set up it's hard to know quite what to suggest, but as long as they are housed securely, so they can't access each other, that should be fine.

MC870
30-10-2012, 07:15 PM
That would probably work! Just keep an eye on them for the first few days to see if they like that idea, hope everything goes well :)