• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Lost my lickle George pig :( Devastated

Summer&Skye

Mama Doe
I'm absolutely devastated and feel like iv killed him. After Dash the rabbit was neutered on Friday I put him in the spare room with George the guinea pig, totally not thinking about his runny nose and the potential he could pass it onto George. After the vet nurse checked Dash's chest and said its fine and not to worry, I didn't even think but in hindsight obviously I was very very stupid to even risk it if there was a slight chance that Dash had snuffles:( I got home last night to find George hadn't touched his breakfast which is not like him at all and he was really subdued in his bed. I could tell he was on his way out so all I could do was say my goodbyes and say sorry to him and leave him in peace. He was gone when I woke up this morning :cry: I am so upset that iv done this to him. I'm sure it can't just be coincidence as he was healthy and happy before this. I was working on improving his accommodation, he should have moved out into his new hutch but it got too late in the year, now I feel so sad :cry: He's my 1st guinea pig and he was so beautiful and sweet and I loved him so much <3

RIP my lickle baby Georgie :cry:

2ee6ef18.jpg

I'm very sorry for your loss - i think i'd of taken him to the emergency vets rather than leave him all night, hope he wasn't in pain.

Be free little piggy :(

Don't be too hard on yourself. He may have been going to go anyway. Pigs quite often go suddenly.

I'm very sorry for your loss - i think i'd of taken him to the emergency vets rather than leave him all night, hope he wasn't in pain.

Be free little piggy :(

I agree, sorry. No way I would have just said my goodbyes and left him to die.

Sorry for your loss, popcorn free little piggy

There are some utterly insensitive posts on this thread. :shock: There is really no point in berating someone who feels awful already.

Plus, how is anyone really to know the best thing to do when a pet is dying? Taking a pet to the vet to be PTS is stressful for the animal, but obviously sometimes speeds things up. It's a judgement call and not always an easy one, in my view.

There are some utterly insensitive posts on this thread. :shock: There is really no point in berating someone who feels awful already.

Plus, how is anyone really to know the best thing to do when a pet is dying? Taking a pet to the vet to be PTS is stressful for the animal, but obviously sometimes speeds things up. It's a judgement call and not always an easy one, in my view.

Thankyou x

So you'd rather be left in a room to die if someone decided that was the case?

Sorry, but i'm not going to just keep quiet just because it might hurt someones feelings.

I hope George went quickly rather than suffered.

Then keep ur thoughts to yourself please

It's a public forum and whilst i am extremely sorry for your loss, i am entitled to my thoughts, my opinions and will state them where I see fit.

Sorry, but i'm not going to just keep quiet just because it might hurt someones feelings.

I hope George went quickly rather than suffered.

It's a public forum and whilst i am extremely sorry for your loss, i am entitled to my thoughts, my opinions and will state them where I see fit.

And perhaps you'll be supplying the OP with both a crystal ball and a time machine to change things too?

Say what you like, but I'll also say that I think this is insensitive and pointless.

I hope George went quickly rather than suffered

And, in answer to this very specific point addressed to me: I once had a piggy who looked in a really bad way, I whisked her away to the emergency vet, who injected her with a pointless antibiotic (as in, didn't have a clue what they were doing - I now know the piggy was suffering from a heart attack). She died on the way home. It would have been a much more peaceful passing at home.

My point was, you don't actually know for sure - it's a judgement call.

I don't feel I should be having to defend my decision. We all do things differently, I did what I thought was best for him. Messing with him would have caused him stress and moving him may have caused him pain. No one really knows how or what an animal is feeling, they work on instincts, not thoughts and feelings like humans. He died peacefully in his comfortable and familiar surroundings. Of course I hope he wasn't in pain and didn't suffer too long, how can I ever know. Death is never pleasant but it is a fact of life. U can call me heartless or whatever u want, I wont tell u what I would call u. Why u feel it is ok to kick someone when they're down rather than keeping quiet is beyond me.

And, in answer to this very specific point addressed to me: I once had a piggy who looked in a really bad way, I whisked her away to the emergency vet, who injected her with a pointless antibiotic (as in, didn't have a clue what they were doing - I now know the piggy was suffering from a heart attack). She died on the way home. It would have been a much more peaceful passing at home.

My point was, you don't actually know for sure - it's a judgement call.

Thank you for your support and compassion x

I would probably have done the same thing - left the animal alone to go in peace and quiet rather than put it throught the stress of going to the vet. You can't always tell if an animal is in pain or not - especially these little prey animals - but as long as you have the animals welfare at the foremost of any decision then that's what counts.

I think Summer&Skye is upset enough about losing her piggies without being told off about her decision - a decision that was made for the right reasons, not because she didn't care.

Go in peace little piggie - you were so loved...:cry:

I am so sorry for your loss xxx

Also I have done the same thing in the past, we came home to find a piggy very very close to death, I wanted to take him to the vets as I was very young and wanted him 'fixed', my parents took one look at him and explained that the trip would probably kill him and we brought him inside and he slipped away a few hours later in his sleep. I can't know if he suffered but it looked peaceful, I know he would have suffered if we had bunged him in the car, at the time I hated my parents for not helping him, now I think they did the kindest they could for him.

Years later we had a piggy that dad brought into the house one day, handed to mum and said 'I think he wants some company' the lil guy snuggled onto mums lap and relaxed, slipping away about half an hour later. He had shown no signs of being ill in the previous days and who knows what would have happened if we had taken him to the vets. I do know that he would have been terrified and struggling to breathe.

I'm not saying that we leave animals clearly suffering, and I'm sure you would never do that either. You loved him very very much and you saw him last night, you know him and you decided what was in his best intrests, that is all any of us can do. Of course people make different decisions, I'm sorry people have jumped on you for yours xxx

Back