• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Horrible Experience!!!

Fee

Wise Old Thumper
Phew... We have had a horrible experience tonight.

Its now 11:25 and at around 10.00 , i checked on Floppy from my window at his run. I heard him thumping. Something that i hadnt heard with such ferocity. I got dressed and went out to find my run and hutch open and Floppy cowering under the hutch...

Its taken me 35 minutes to get him out from under the hutch.
He finally came out with help from a gentle brush. I sat with him for 50 minutes stroking him and finally put him back and he is still terrified.

Any suggestions how to calm a fraught bunny down . I think I may have kicked open the latch with my knee whilst putting the tarpaulin on and he managed to wriggle out but not get back in...

I feel sick for him.....what a complete prat I am... I have never seen him so scared, the wee pet....

Thank goodness you got him back :shock:

I think the only thing you can do for a scared bun is what you already have and to just let him be for a while. He'll calm down.

Don't kick yourself, this wasn't your fault. But maybe invest in a bolt for the hutch? If a knee can knock it open a cat or fox would not have too much of a problem!

I hope he feels better soon xxx

I've bolted the latch shut tonight.

Ironically, theres heavy duty polythene doubled and a double layer of tarpaulin over the lock and there also a concrete slab holding it in place.... Houdini would be a better name for him...

Stuck my head out there... Still the occasional thump...

Thanks!!!!!

I would bring him in for the night - it may be that something else opened the hutch rather than you knocking it . .

after all if you could hear him thump I would guess he was thumping IN the hutch . . . so was scared whilst IN it . .

Blimey sounds like you had security covered then :shock:

We used to have a hammy like that, she would just vanish! We always caught her but never worked out how she was getting out, the cage would still be closed and correctly assembled and it was plastic so no bars for her to squeeze through, she'd just not be in there :roll:

update - Checked on Floppy today - He is still a wee bit quiet but munched into his hay and a good selection of greens and pellets today -

My poor son has admitted he went out to sneak him an extra bit of parsley yesterday and may NOT have shut the latch properly - He's been really upset about it so I'm not going to give him a hard time...

Phew - Thank God - no more harm was done!!!

Thanks for the support y'all .. Cant believe how upset I was last night!!

Cheers
Fee xxx

As long as bun recovers fully, at least no long term harm is done. It may even prevent a future tragedy by getting such a close call this time, but if there's a fox around I really would be on guard as they can be very persistent. Maybe it was a cat? Hard to know... Glad things seem better this morning though.. :wave:

update - My poor son has admitted he went out to sneak him an extra bit of parsley yesterday and may NOT have shut the latch properly - He's been really upset about it so I'm not going to give him a hard time...

Shame, I'm sure he is punishing himself enough.

Sorry I missed this yesterday, but glad all is well. Accidentally leaving the hutch open is so easily done. I certainly did it a couple of times when Spenser lived outside.

THanks!!!!

Lesson learned. Reckon now we'll have a case of OCD double checking the latches every night...

Phew.............

Back