• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Will a friend help Piccolo's health problems?

toffee

Mama Doe
Hi :)

Piccolo has been on his own since his friend Michelle died in May. He lived with Michelle for 4 and a half years and they were very much in love.

Piccolo has had snuffles a few times when he was younger but these episodes were not severe and were easily treated. When Michelle died he developed an awful pneumonia (which I believe was brought on by the stress and grief of losing Michelle) and we very nearly lost him. Luckily he's still here but has lasting lung damage and we have to keep putting him back on baytril for a few days every couple of weeks to keep the respiratory problems under control.

I'm concerned that being on his own is causing him more stress as he's never been much of a people rabbit.

I've reserved a female rabbit at Bunny Camp Sanctuary that I hope he will be bonded with in a couple of weeks. This will only happen when he's in one of his good health periods.

Do you think having a new friend could help to manage his condition? I'm concerned that the stress of living alone is making these flare ups more common than they would otherwise be.

What do you think? He really relied on Michelle and it upsets me to think that he's lonely - he doesn't need my company, he needs rabbit company. :(

I can only say that rabbits are much happier and content when they have a companion.

I'm a firm believer that stress and loneliness in rabbits (and people) can exacerbate health problems and, if it were me, I would go ahead with another bonding.

It is good that you are so concerned about Piccolo and are trying to do your best for him.

I genueinly believe Ginger wouldnt still be alive if she didnt have Biscuit. Ginger is a major snuffles bunny also, along with some other issues.

I think what i'm trying to say is, you have the option, you need to weight that up, perhaps speak to your vet, or another rabbit savvy vet.

Back